cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Moving from EE to BT, and using the EE range extending discs

Grobster
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, many EE broadband accounts and users are being switched to BT.  My switch over takes place tomorrow from EE to BT (1st Dec 2021).   Currently whilst with EE I have 3 or 4 range extender discs located and working around the house and garage.  Whilst my house is only an average 1990's house and layout, unless the new BT Smart Hub 2 modem has a substantially stronger signal and greater range, I'll probably need range extender discs again.  So my first question is, can my current EE discs be 'synched' to work with the BT Router?  If so, question 2... is there a guide somewhere for how to do this?  Question 3...If not does BT offer range extender discs to former EE customers and are they free?  If not free, I've kind of already paid for the existing discs once before....if you know what I mean??  Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks..

7 REPLIES 7
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Grobster.

Welcome to the community.

If you can get in touch with our Broadband Care team they will be able to help you with this and give you the appropriate advice.

They will help to make sure your broadband is working as it should be and reaches the whole house.

Jon

So here is the situation I now find myself in.

The package switch over was done face to face in the EE store in Leeds Trinity centre.  I Explained about how I have multiple EE wifi discs around the house, as mentioned in my original post.  Today the BT broadband service started ok, however the discs would not pair with the Smart Hub 2.  I tried this via the smart hub manager, WPS over wifi and also over LAN.  Finally I surrendered to call EE for support.  They were very polite, but unable to help so suggested I contacted BT for help.  Again same situation, however in addition BT confirmed that the EE Discs do not and will not work together with my new BT hub.

I have explained my dissatisfaction to both, and of course having moved from a perfectly good package with EE, to save a few quid and based on provision promises....everything promised as has been completely false.  So, 3 hrs of phone time wasted today to eventually find myself now trying to return to the package I had just moved from......or pay more for a BT equivalent with operable wifi range extending discs. 

Completely mislead and a complete waste of time.....If you're with EE and use smart discs, stay as you are.  There's nothing to be gained by switching over to BT!

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Strange, I would have expected them to work.

You might want to try this just to see.

Factory reset one of the discs, Unplug it  connect to hub with ethernet cable and turn on to see if it will pair, If it does unplug it and move back to it's original position. Then plug in all the others, factory reset and they should pair.

It's worth 5 mins just to try the first one.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Before doing too much resetting, you could try changing the username in the EE router to bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Assuming the discs still work with the EE router.

Not sure why EE shop staff are doing this, they must get extra commission or something!

That said the EE Broadband team are a lot more knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

I thought you said that "users are being switched to BT" not that you chose to to save a bit of money.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

My reason for calling into the shop was just the same as I do every 18 months, to see if there's a new deal going that would save me a few quid.  Whilst enquiring, I was told that all EE clients were being switched over and would be contacted soon.

In answer to some of the questions above, I've tried pretty much all that you guys have suggested.  But at the same time.......should I really have needed to?  I'd made my situation very clear to both EE and as their employed trade (it certainly is not mine) they should have known these things.   Having been promoting and supplying range extender discs they should have expected people to face this issue, when switch over start to occur, and then known the resolve.

The buck kind of lies with EE and BT to have thought through, planned ahead and then communicated to those who needed to know....both staff and clients.  That's what those providing a good professional service in any trade do.  Otherwise we are making excuses for them, and they never seek to improve.

On a positive note though, so far the BT broadband seems to be issue free....touch wood!

Yep....did that.  I appreciate the reply though...