cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

SMART WATCH / PIN TO ACCESS NETWORK

DackyHX
Investigator
Investigator

I recently bought an apple watch which led me to think in this day and age with smart watches why is this not possible.

Having lived in Canada they have simless mobile phones so surely this would be possible if collaborated with the massive giant Apple inc.

Question

I thought now i have a SW can i get 2 sims with the same number, as a business owner i dont want to swap sims around every time i go jogging or leave my watch at home, i know there's divert etc for more cost cost costs.  But i dont want to just rack up unnecessary costs.  Since then i have found out that its against laws, trading standards or something to have 2 sims with same number.

Remember GIFF GAFF and the all in one sim (different sizes) that was a GIFF GAFF customer who thought of that so come on EE,  the company that does this will earn billions in extra revenue, (dont forget my royalties)

Now to the question.  why can we not have a pin number to access EE or any other network so when we but a device we use the pin and can access our own mobile phone account without swapping pins for devices, or even an app you can do this with.  Look at whats app,  come on EE get with the game and give millions/billions what they want...

KR

JD

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DackyHX  You don’t have to swap sims to log into your account I Access my account from my iPad which doesn’t have a Sim card in it all . 

but to be able to use your allowances from your account your Sim will need to be in that device as that sim needs to be connected to the network.  
but if you have Apple products you have something called iCloud calling (or as EE it smart calling  ) all devices that are logged onto your Apple account that your iPhone is logged onto will be able to make and receive calls text messages et cetera.    

For any devices to connect to network they need a Sim card/eSIM that has to be activated and working you can not just switch it on and have it working.   For an Sim card to register to a network it can take up to 24 hours it’s not instant.  Your number is actually registered on your Sim card you cannot transfer that to another sim and have it working instantly again this can take 24 hours to port across you cannot just magically flick a switch and have this done.    

I understand what your saying but it’s just not feasible. 

and what do you mean look at WhatsApp it’s a totally different service it only using data and you’re changing your account from one device to the next your EE sim card is basically your account and you need the information from that to access your account/network.  Please see above about move that information. 

just a point out to you your smart watch has its own number which is used for accessing data and your account so your calls and texts come from your phone allowance but it still has its own number a cellular number and it’s just linked to your iPhone via your account to receive/make  calls/texts

Thank you for this lovely explanation, but i dont want to swap sims or use a different number or use icloud, whats app, I need access to my business number all the time so if i leave my phone at home i can still use my network i am on and receive calls from my biz number.

Maybe one day some genius will make this work and use a simple pin number to enable access to your mobile network without having to swap sims use 2 sims, divert calls use iclouds or equivalent.

I said whatts app as an example not to use this service, thing is IT guys and tech guys think that nothing is possible until someone makes it work.  I once saw bill gates years ago maybe 10-15 using a counter top as a computer screen to draft up menus and other items that i thought WOW.  everything is possible history tells us that; but obviously it's not in the making at the moment then.

Thank you for getting back to me.

@DackyHX  but that’s the problem you think it might be possible in the future to move a phone number over to a different device but this can take up to 24 hours and what happens if it goes wrong as this sometimes does happen.  Number migrations are network server based and are registered to your sim moving information from one sim to a different sim takes up to 24 hours as it has to be done in stages and it’s not done over the weekend.   Your sim is your account and it’s not possible to do this just by picking up a different device and registering that device against your account so that device has your number on it.    

If you have a business number and a personal number then at present the best thing you can do is have a device that has two Sim cards one for your business and one for your personal you and then only need one device and you can take calls from both without actually doing anything to the device they both receive a signal at the same time and that can be two different networks. 

NO Problem, but i dont think your grasping what i asked, but no worries.