cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

constant timeouts since October 2021 outage.

Knightstone
Contributor
Contributor

On October 15th 2021, there was an EE outage in my area. I couldn't make calls, or receive them for two weeks, then got that sorted, around the same time, i was sent a "network configuration" text message, from one of the EE tech's, because of said outage.

But since then, my internet connection has been awful. Sites that i used to go to, i just can't get there, it sits there for ages, then tells me, "The site took too long to respond", and I'm talking about well used tech websites, Tomshardware.com  , Anandtech.com, IMDB etc. nothing nefarious. It's making my connection just about unusable, and i can get to about 30% of the sites i want. This never happened before Oct.15th. i could access any site, anywhere, and i have been with EE for over 3 years. 

I have ran some trace tests on it, and it appears that maybe EE are using multiple proxies, so the authentication is being sent down one connection, and it's using another proxy for traffic, like an F5 load balancer changing the server your connecting to, from the previous connection, I can't be sure, i can't see EE's "end", but the entire thing stinks of something like that. This is further backed up, by the fact that if i keep reloading the page, i can occasionally access it, but only after getting a message telling me the site is unsafe and i should go back to safety. IMDB? back to safety? dropped authentication/token anyone?

I am on the highest tariff for mobile date, and quite frankly, it's making the connection unusable, please give me some advice, before i take my business elsewhere.

17 REPLIES 17
Knightstone
Contributor
Contributor

it would appear your IPv6 dropdown to IPv4 is shocking, and could well be contributing to this.

I can't even get onto the Govt. website to book an Omicron booster.

pitiful.

Hi @Knightstone ,

How does the unloaded latency/ping look on fast.com and speedtest.net ?

Is this the same after multiple restart of radios (e.g. by rebooting router)?

EE is unlikely to be forcing the use of proxies as that would be a privacy and security issue.

I would recommend to check if the APN is configured for IPV4V6 and to try to add an APN configured for IPV4-only if so, just to test (revert to the original if no change).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

Your proxy comment makes sense, but it has to be something similar, that is, not all traffic/authentication taking the same route, or getting through. I just got onto a page there, by dropping the connection, and reconnecting, while it was trying to navigate to the page.

This is a mobile phone, there is no router to reboot, but yes, the phone itself has been started several times.

Even before i logged the first comment, i created a new APN that was IPv4 only, no effect at all.

This was working, and was working as intended for 3 years. from Oct 15th, there was an outage, i was sent an "EE network config text", and now it's not working. 

I can't get through to Speedtest to look at the latency, ironically enough.

I will keep trying.

Hi @Knightstone ,

I would recommend to configure a WiFi hotspot with the mobile and connect a laptop to debug.

If you fail to access websites, it's usually one of A) routing, or B) name resolution which is failing.

To check A) in Windows 10, open a commandline and test "ping 8.8.8.8" and "tracert 8.8.8.8

To check B) in Windows 10 commandline, test "nslookup google.com" and "nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8"

These tests are probably also possible on a mobile but I typically switch to a server to debug my home 4G LTE issues.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

thanks again for the reply.

i can see the testing angle your going for, i have already tried alternate DNS settings, infact, i have tried just about everything, and my last resort was this thread.

I am very doubtful of DNS though, it can find the lookup for the address no problem, and tried going there no problem, that's when it just sits there (with the URL resolved in the address bar of Chrome) it's never a DNS problem, or at least, it doesn't look that way, as the error is always "the page took too long to respond", despite actually finding it. if i disconnect the net connection, then reconnect, it will on the very rare occasion, bring up the page i want, instantly, but these instances are very few and far between. Surely if it was a DNS issue, it wouldn't be able to get there at all, as it wouldn't know where "there" is.

i know one thing. it's an EE issue

Worked everyday, spotless for over three years. Network outage, Network config text file sent. Now NOT working. i never changed any settings on the connection. i didn't have to. it worked.

Hi @Knightstone ,

I would recommend to delete any IPv4 literals if you've specified these for the DNS on your phone. So delete 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 for testing DNS lookup to fall back on EE default DNS. This is because these may interact badly if your mobile has an IPv6 address.

If you've specified a domain name for Private DNS, would be good to delete too for testing.

Do both A) and B) succeed for you?

You could manually set the APN according to online guidance.

If all the above checks out, and the problem persists, moving the SIM to another device (unlocked for EE) is a good check.

The main possibilities are A) routing timeout, B) name resolution timeout, C) server response timeout, D) other misconfiguration, E) device fault, or F) misconfiguration in the network.

Realistically, F) is the least likely at the moment as it would have high impact with many customers reporting the same for your location.

Regarding the network config text, you may wish to compare your settings to those recommended at the below APN link. For example, my Netgear MR1100 doesn't populate username and password for its APN settings although other devices seem to require these to be populated.

-- 

How wide a geographical area is this issue apparent?

This would provide a good indicator of where in EE's network the issue is potentially located.

thanks for chiming in Bristolian.

"How wide a geographical area is this issue apparent?"

are you asking am i only having trouble with issues the other side of the pond? that kinda thing? hard to say, there are certainly many UK sites i can't get to. 

Youtube, Facebook, BBC news i can get to no problem. Sites like Tomshardware or Anandtech, i can't .... if i just refresh, and refresh, and refresh, then one time in every twenty or so i can, but it doesn't go straight to the site, it tells me the certification for the site i am going to is invalid, and the site is unsafe, and would i like to go back to safety, it's TomsHardware, there is nothing unsafe about it, the main reason i posted a thread, is that i am not able bodied, and not able to book a booster jab, because of this.

There was an outage on Oct 15th.

i got no calls etc. for two weeks. Only alerted to this, when my social worker knocked on the door to see if i was still alive, as they couldn't call me.

I called EE.

The support guy told me "it was a known issue, caused by the outage, i am sending you a network config file as a text message. when you get it. restart your phone"

phone switched off for over an hour, to make sure i had dropped off the network.

phone switched on.

broken.

I'm asking whether your problem is specific to one area - or if you travel to another local area whether the issue persists.

Or is this problem happening regardless of where you are?