cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

PAYG Sim - activation

planetf1a
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I am looking at 'trying out' EE in the next few weeks as I'll have the opportunity to visit a number of places and want to see the overall coverage/speeds, as well as at my home area/local walks/gym etc - since my current pay-monthly supplier is a little underwhelming in some places. I've never used EE before - other than Orange in the very early days!

With this in mind I'm looking at getting an EE PAYG SIM as a test. The summer special requires paying up-front, so was thinking of ordering the £20 50GB card - ample opportunity to give it a serious chance.

I'm still planning my diary.. so my question is whether these cards come pre-activated or not. By that I really mean whether my '1 month, 50GB' timer starts on dispatch, or when I'm ready.. and if the latter, how long do I have to make this happen?

I'm happy to order soon so I ensure I have the sim in time, but don't want to find my deciding to put off hols for another month and not really getting the benefit?

Whilst I wouldn't stick on PAYG it will be useful information for a possible contract switch at renewal 🙂

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@planetf1a : The Summer Data Offer PAYG SIMs can be had free from Free pay as you go SIM card & you can top-up later.

Even if you pay for 1 of these Summer Data Offer PAYG SIMs, Packs don't start until you buy them & you must buy the 1st 1 by 17.08.2021 to get the extra "over-the-norm" data.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Ah I see - so basically that £ goes to a credit, and then once the Sim is received that credit is used to buy and start the pack?

If so, when I receive a SIM, how do I ensure that the credit is only used for the pack - ie one doesn't accidentally send an SMS (easy on iPhone to activate iMessage for example). Can the pack be started via a website, before being inserted into phone for example?

Yes,

• A paid-for SIM contains the PAYG credit already on it.
  • A free SIM you add the PAYG credit later.
  • You buy the 1st Pack from the PAYG credit whenever you like, subject to the special offer provisos I gave you earlier. You may buy the pack by text or online.
  • The 1st pack's 30-days starts when you 1st use it for calls, texts or data.

You just need to be careful not to make a call or send a text before you buy the pack. You can't use data, e.g. iMessage, w/out a Pack.

This might help you : What are pay as you go packs?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks - apologies for the questions. I've never really used PAYG, always been contract (including 1-month)  - and this is really just for a 'test'

So on 'You just need to be careful not to make a call or send a text before you buy the pack. You can't use data, e.g. iMessage, w/out a Pack.' - understand,

So.. if I receive a sim pack in the post that is prepaid, can I 'buy' a pack online before I place the sim inside the phone? That would ensure no credit is used first?

Not exactly! To manage it online you 1st have to register it to a MyEE a/c. In doing so MyEE will want to send it a verification code by text.

You might just as well send a PACK20 text to 150 immediately to buy it & you don't need to register it. 

Still getting to grips with this PAYG idea (sadly there's no EE 1 month contract option - I've done this on vodafone/three before to test before switch)

If I put the sim in the phone, isn't there a chance a text will get sent by the OS itself. Facetime etc tends to do this far too easily. Also *every* app is using data, and I'm not sure I can suitably turn that off before inserting the sim. And as the sim registers with the network I also think that may re-load up the apn etc information ?

So how on earth can I guarantee to use the £15 or £20 for the pack I want to test, and I don't end up with £14.90 or similar and have to top up? Is there a particular sequence (assuming the masses of software on the phone - iOS - loves being chatty). 

On 'smarty' for example I don't have this issue as it's just bundles so I can test with that, I was just hoping to try EE for a change. Maybe more pricey, but could be worth it if the service is better...

1. Phones don't send texts themselves out the blue. You have do any sending yourself.
  2. Facetime etc. are data apps. I told you already you can't possibly use data until you've bought a pack. EE doesn't have a per-KB cost for data. So it is impossible to spend your credit on data.

I think you are making it more difficult than it really is. I top-up once a month for a small data bundle (cuz I'm usually on WiFi) & I'm fully conscious of when, if & how much I'm going to spend on making a call or sending a text.