cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Mobile wifi

Benpole
Investigator
Investigator

I have an aftermarket stereo which is basically an android unit. It uses Internet connection for updating the apps, but also You can have Amazon, YouTube , freeview, and so on on it. When I connect it to the hotspot on my phone it keeps losing connection, my wife sometimes wants to watch the football if we are out, so it would be best to have its own connection to something, so I wondered what the difference was between mobile Wi-Fi, hotspots, dongles and so on, and can I just do a pay-as-you-go which I top up when I use the data, and it runs out, Rather than a monthly plan,as a lot of the time I am parked where I can reach Wi-Fi, and which unit would be best? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Benpole

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Is that device like a head unit for a vehicle? If so, is it playing while you're moving and that's when you notice the connection drop, or is the connection dropping when you're parked up too?

Chris

Hi thanks for reply. It’s whilst stationary and moving it drops out. The head unit is the main machine ( screen turns off in motion) but it feeds the screens in the rear too. But it also drops signal whilst stationary too, if you hotspot from the phone. It does say connected but I suspect the connection isn’t strong enough?
Thanks
Ben
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Are you able to try hotspotting from another phone, @Benpole? Just to see if the same thing happens?

Mobile WiFi and personal hotspots use the same network, so I'm not sure it would make too much of a difference buying a new device.

Chris

It’s an idea, sure... was wondering if the hotspot is as good as any mobile wifi/dongle whatever thing I can buy? Thanks for your time