cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

eSim unlock iPhone 12 mini

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello everyone

I’ve decided to keep on going with EE and upgraded to a 2 year plan and an iPhone 12 mini

Now, knowing that it has dual sim, I’ve moved my EE contract on a eSim.

It seems that I can not use any other sim in any way (eSim or normal Sim) as the device is fully locked on EE 

I’ve seen the option in the app that comes with a possible price tag to unlock it, but I can’t help but wonder :

why would you lock a dual sim phone?  

how do I unlock them? 1 imei at a time?

is anything changed since the minimum 6 months limit to unlock it?

is it free of charge for different types of contracts? Could anyone pls check on my one?

since I’m moved to EE’s eSim , I would like to have the other one unlocked to use my other phone line on it as well (main reason I went for a dual sim phone)

texting UNLOCK to 150 it's saying that my apple device it's not an apple device (only have EE's eSim in the phone for a little of under 24hrs)

thanks a lot for your time

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @JohnRo79

Thanks for coming to the community about this.

I hope you're well and having a nice day 😊

I can confirm that our phones are locked to EE eSIM's the same as a physical SIM. Just like @XRaySpeX said, this is for six months.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. You can't unlock an EE device until it is 6 months old. As you seem to have just upgraded to it, you have to wait 6 months.
  2. Unlocking is only free once you have seen out your min. term. Before that it will be £8.99.
  3. It is the device that is locked, not the individual SIMs.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@JohnRo79  That device will automatically be unlock free of charge once you’ve had it 17 months.  Once over the 6 month period and up to 17 months it’ll cost you £8.99 to have it unlocked.   It’s locked to EE because until 6 months has passed you have that device sort of on higher purchase.   Just because it’s a duel sim phone doesn’t mean the unlock rules are different.    When you request to unlock the device it will unlock the whole device to use on a different network not just one sim slot.  It’s still one unlock to unlock the device.   

From the end of this year all devices will be unlocked from purchase so you’ll never need to request a unlock ever again. 

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

before i'll go make a big mess for myself, could someone pls confirm that even eSim is locked only on EE?

thanks for your time

Hi @JohnRo79

Thanks for coming to the community about this.

I hope you're well and having a nice day 😊

I can confirm that our phones are locked to EE eSIM's the same as a physical SIM. Just like @XRaySpeX said, this is for six months.

Thanks