cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

unlocking my 4gEE mini wifi router

opalset111
Visitor

I am at a loss as to how to use an alternative sim in this device.  I purchased it from Currys last week and need to add more data but dont want to be stuck with just EE as I can get better data deal elsewhere.  I have set up an account and tried to do it online but to no avail.  I called the 0800 number and was in a queue for 40 MINUTES - come on guys!! and then was told that this type of device cannot be unlocked.  !!!

How did anyone ever get this unlocked ??  

4 REPLIES 4
nick_ro
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

You cannot unlock these kind of devices because the built in settings won't work with another network anyway.

So even if it was unlocked, the EE settings which are built in are going to be completely different to say O2.

Why not contact EE sales and ask for Mobile Broadband sim on Pay monthly, tell them how much data you need and your usage patterns and they should be able to offer something that suits your needs.

The Pay as you go options are mostly for people who are on the move rather than heavy usage.

Call EE sales on 08009566000 which is a free call, select option 2 to become a new customer and then select option 1 to buy something. When you get through to someone, tell them you already have an EE mini broadband device and what I mentioned above.

@nick_ro wrote:

You cannot unlock these kind of devices because the built in settings won't work with another network anyway.

So even if it was unlocked, the EE settings which are built in are going to be completely different to say O2.

Not true! There are no built-in settings. The relevant connection settings, usually known as the APN or Profile, are auto populated when 1st connecting to a mobile network. Anyway they are freely reconfigurable yourself under Profile management .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You cannot use the online unlocking form for EE devices not bought directly from EE as they have no record of it.

To unlock an EE device not bought directly from EE you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Depending on which model you have will depend on your way forward, if it an early Alcatel model it may only support Bands 1, 3 and 7 and not Band 20 which is a key Band for Vodafone and O2, if this is the case it may still work on other Networks but could have reduced Coverage and Data Speed.

On Alcatels once Unlocked you should have access to the full Admin Dash Board in order to change Settings like APN for each Network.

Whilst I'm not trying to cheat EE out of 8 quid for unlocking, if EE Unlocking cannot help you, and it' is an Acatel you can purchase Unlock Codes for these models for around a £1 on eBay.