cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

I joined the forum and immediately received an unwanted spam private message

seljon
Investigator
Investigator

I was surprised to receive a spam private message of a sexual nature as soon as I registered for the forum.  How do I turn off private messages, how are spammers allowed to spam the site with their bots and what are you doing to prevent it? 

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Report the spammer to the mods. Each PM has a Report link.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks but there is no button to report private messages on the email I received and I am not sure where to view private messages on the forum. Where is the user account panel - I have never come across a forum before where it is unclear how to access this. 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You need to view your PMs online on the site by clicking on the envelope from your avatar @ top L or by going to https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/notes/privatenotespage , not thro' the notification (for that's all it is) email.

That avatar will also lead you to everything you might want, your Profile, your Settings ... It's the "user account panel" you are after.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

Hi @seljon 

Sorry that you had this experience when you first joined.

If you could log in to your private messages using the advice above and report the message, we will be able to deal with the spamming account. 

I do hope it hasn't deterred you from using the community.

Thanks

Sorcha 

I just tried this but it said access denied and gave me the following error message:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

This doesn't seem a very user friendly forum

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @seljon,

Do you see the same response when you go directly to community.ee.co.uk/t5/notes/privatenotespage?

Thanks

James

I experienced the exact same situation. I sent an email to EE with forwarded email but had no response. Just came across this now and was able to access messages through that link and reported it.

However, what i don't understand is how quickly they were able to message me with such spam as i had only just joined this community t'other day?!