cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Huawei Router vs EE Router

Katvanv
Investigator
Investigator

Hi - thanks in advance if you can help with this one. I live in the remote north of Scotland - WiFi is dire at the best of times. I am a headteacher and during lockdown this has proved to be the most stressful and frustrating issue - I regularly drop out of meetings, it can take 45 mins to send an email etc etc. My neighbour said he had an EE 4g router which worked brilliantly. He lent me it and yes- we entered the modern world of being able to access WiFi. So I bought one and received a different, homebrand model. Guess what - no signal. I tried his again - fabulous. I was actually in tears. So guys,  I really need your help. How can I get a router that works - huwai b525 and what do I do about the sim - mine doesn’t fit my neighbours router. Apologies for the length of this, I am just finding the situation so difficult, sitting here looking at the whirring wheel:(  Many thanks x

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Katvanv

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that this problem upset you so much. We'll do our best to help.

Where did you get the Huawei router from?

Chris

Hi Chris, I borrowed the Huawei router from my neighbour who bought it from EE.

any help would be most appreciated

many thanks

kat

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Katvanv,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Is the router you purchased on pay as you go or pay monthly?

Which router is it?

What happens when you try to connect to it?

Thanks

James

Hi James, I purchased the router from EE a couple of Weeks ago and have a monthly contract for the sim.

When you plug it in it doesn’t register any signal.  Sometimes I pick up enough of a signal to connect my laptop but this is intermittent and today, for example, I dropped out of 3 meetings and simply could not get back online to rejoin. This is beyond frustrating. I get we have poor signal because of where we live but what I cannot understand is why my neighbours router works like magic in my house and picks up enough signal that my kids can download music in minutes. Usually it takes min 24 hours to upload a tv programme, for example.  I am at the point I would try to return this router and try to buy the same as my neighbours from somewhere but my sim is too small for his router so this wouldn’t help. He knows how difficult this is and Is very kindly offering to lend me his router if his wife is not online, but this is not a solution and I'm worried we will damage it keeping on moving it around. I hope this all makes sense and apologise for sounding so miserable, 

Peter_C
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Katvanv and welcome to the community.

In rural areas, much of EE's coverage is provided by their extended range frequency, 800MHz, but this has certain requirements before the customer can use it. 

I understand from your post that this neighbour has a Huawai B525 and SIM, both bought directly from EE as a 4G Home Broadband package?

You mention getting an EE Brand router. Was this as part of a 4G Home broadband package with SIM included?

The Huawei B525 takes a Micro-SIM. If you received a SIM as part of an EE 4G Home broadband package, it should be a Nano-SIM which can be made into a Micro-SIM using an adaptor commonly in the £1 supermarket SIM packs.

Apologies for the questions but knowing the exact details will help up to work out exactly what is going on and then help you,

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter

yes, both routers are from EE. I purchased the router and signed up for the broadband package.  And yes, my sim is probably nano - apologies, I know so little about all

of this. Do EE still have Huawei b525 routers so I can simply swop it or do I need to try to sort out returning this one and purchase the Huawei one from elsewhere? 

Thanks again

kat