cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Help with 4g ee router

Rysaboy
Investigator
Investigator
Read more
Hi folks, 

Newbie alert. 

I have just received a second hand 4gee router today. 

I wanted to try it out and see what speeds I could get before I purchase an unlimited data sim so, I put the one from my phone in and the speeds I am getting are very poor, nowhere near the speeds I get when doing an ookla test on my phones 4g.

Is their something I am doing wrong? 

10 REPLIES 10
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Rysaboy

Welcome to the community.

Which 4GEE router is it? WE'll do our best to help.

Chris

Hi Christopher G

The router is the model HH70VB, or the little white square one if that helps... Lol

Christopher_G

Is it an EE pay as you go SIM or an EE pay monthly SIM card that you're using, @Rysaboy?

What are the speeds you're getting compared to your mobile?

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Its a monthly contract sim in my huawei p30 Pro... 

When I performed speed tests via ookla last night with the same sim in the router the most I got was 10mb download.

Today i performed the same test via my phone and got 122mb download.... Big difference 

Ryan 

Christopher_G

I'm not sure why the speeds would be so different, @Rysaboy.

If you did take out a contract with a new 4G router, over the phone or online shop, you'd get a 14 day period to return it. That should give you enough time to test new equipment sent directly by us.

Chris

Rysaboy.. that is very odd.  I've just done the same Ookla test with my phone/4G router and my download speeds on both are around 50Mbps.  The 4G Router does need a decent signal - how many bars of signal strength is it showing?  It is advised to place the router on a window sill on the side of the house where your transmitting mast is for best results. 

Yeah seems very strange.. 

I had it on the window sill and had two bars signal strength 

Not sure what else it could be

Hi Christopher G 

I bought it second hand to save me doing that.....

I just thought this would be plug and play.... 

The rwason I wanted to change was the speeds where I live top out at 12mb via the conventional route. 

Christopher_G

I see, one of the benefits of our distance selling rules is that you can make sure that the equipment that you're looking for works fully and for you to test it out, @Rysaboy.

It could be a problem with the second hand router that you've bought.

Chris