cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Fibre broadband losing connection after 7pm again

Craige_Davido
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, for about a week, my fibre optic broadband is losing connection after 7-8pm every night. If I'm gaming on my PS5 or on my computer or smartphone, I can see the EE router flash yellow, which I got to wait upto 5 minute's for it to reconnect, which is a bit irritating.

I had an engineer out last year to look at it which you sent out to look at it, it did improve the stabilization, but I lost a chunk of my speed. When I first signed up to fibre I was getting over 30mbps, but now I've lost quite a bit of speed, and it's syncing so much lower now. Even when it's stable before these disconnections, DLM never adjusts my speed now now, it's stuck on same sync speed.

I'm a avid gamer, plays on PS5/Xbox series X, and i need a good stable speed, more the better, but I'm only getting 2mbps upload, and around 20mbps download. Can my speed be increased. Cheers

Craig

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

(1. Router Stats)

This is a list of your EE Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:Smart Hub

Serial number: +EEH001+2020000682

Firmware version: v0.06.01.08190-EE

Firmware updated: Sat Dec 5 01:20:00 2020

Board version: 01

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 12 Hours, 45 Mins, 7 Secs

Data rate: 2.06 Mbps / 20.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate: 2.06 Mbps / 23.93 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down): 6.3 / 10.4

Line attenuation (up/down): 33.3 / 27.9

Signal attenuation (up/down): 33.5 / 23.2

Data sent / received: 122.7 MB / 2.6 GB

Broadband username: ***********************

2.4 GHz wireless network name: **********

2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name: ****************

5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless security: WPA2

Wireless mode: Mode 2

Firewall: Default

MAC address: *************

Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

(2. Wired Speed test)

This is my wired speed test direct to my PC using an Ethernet cable

Telephone Number ************* on Exchange CYMMER is served by Cabinet 3
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

31.820.85.63.618AvailableAvailable--
31.319.15.53.215.6AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available--
Up to 0.5--0.25 to 1.5Available--
0.5----Available--
0.5----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 1--1 to 3.5----
Up to 0.5-- ----
Up to 0.5--0.25 to 1.5----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2021-09-19
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
14-09-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 28 Feb 2014. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

By submitting a query into this checker you accept Terms of Use for this checker.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. Do  this at the bad time & again outside it. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, for the past few night's, it's been ok, checked router stats and it's been up for around 2 days so far, but I would like to see if I can get anymore speed out of my line. I know it depends on line and length, but my relative across the street on same line length as me from the green cabinet, and she's getting around 30 odd Mbps, and much higher upload than mine. Also shouldn't DLM adjust the line if line stay's stable, because it never changes if it's been up for a while.

I'll try those steps again later with test socket, and get bk to you. I remember when engineer come out last time, I've currently got a mk4 filtered faceplate onto my master socket, no other extensions or nothing in the properly, I think they all been disconnected now, it's only the one master socket. The engineer told me it's better to have the router plugged into the mk4 filtered faceplate rather than the test socket at the back, so I leave it in there.

Craig

@Craige_Davido wrote:

The engineer told me it's better to have the router plugged into the mk4 filtered faceplate rather than the test socket at the back, so I leave it in there.

The test socket is what it says, just for testing in cases like these.

The 1st thing to do is the QLT. The QLT is the most important test to help diagnose faults such as yours. Noise on the line is the most common cause of BB failing or going slow.