cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Data used up very quickly

karo_temi
Investigator
Investigator

So, it's the second time in a row that my data (100 GB mobile internet) is used up within three weeks. I switched to EE in August and had the exact same plan with another provider before for 18 months and NOT ONCE did I ran out of data then- even during 6 months of lockdown/ furlough and binge watching on streaming services last year. I once or twice came to about 80% of usage but it NEVER ran out. I am now back to full time working and if my habits have changed then in the way that I use my wifi less than before. Still somehow, the second time in a row, I ran out. EEs mobile broadband is the most expensive product in this category available and I chose it for quality and reliability. But it seems that 100GB here aren't the same as 100GB with my old provider. 

And I can't even add data or activate data at a lower speed because the website tells me I should deactivate my Wifi. Well, it's off as I ran out of data hence I'm on my mobile internet now but I still get that screen and can't do anything about it. And yet again, no email notification that I'm halfway through my data just like last time despite the promise that I would be notified via email from now on (as I do not use the app). Every month since I took out this contract there was an issue (billing, data usage) and I had to contact customer service. Every month at least one time since August. I'm so tired of this. I pay more for the same plan and apparently get less data out of it although on paper it's the same amount. 

Anybody else had a similar experience with identical plans with other providers?

4 REPLIES 4
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @karo_temi,

Welcome back to the EE Community. 🙂

What do you tend to use your 4GEE WiFi for?

You can see an estimate of how much data different tasks use in How much data am I using on EE?

James

Hello James,

the point is, I had the exact same contract with my previous provider. And my internet usage behaviour hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is the company that provides my internet. I'm with EE for three months now and in the last two months I ran out of data within exactly 20 days (during the first month I was away for two weeks hence it lasted).

So, how come the exact same amount of data lasts a full month comfortably with other providers and with EE it's empty after three weeks?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @karo_temi,

Do you have faster speeds than with your previous provider? Some streaming services will automatically increase quality when it detects higher connection speeds, resulting in higher data usage.

James

Hi @karo_temi ,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having and currently am experiencing similar symptoms but am not yet blaming the service provider for my data usage.

In my case, I have a 200 GB allowance which I've managed to burn up in the first week due to an emphasis on 4K HDR streaming and having a visitor at the moment.

I would recommend to keep an eye on usage and if you have a 4GEE device or other 4G LTE router, you may need to view the management page and texts on that device to see text alerts once you've confirmed switches on.

I find that clicking on the data add-on on the app shows a nice summary of average per day usage of the month and an estimate of how early my allowance will run out (e.g. 20 days before refresh).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net