cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

BT Fibre 100 Halo 3 v EE Fibre Max 100

Aphid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

My existing BT Fibre 2 contract ends soon (typically 70mbps download with SmartHub 2) and I’m considering upgrading to a faster Fibre 100 service. Although BT has always worked well for me I’m considering the EE variation which would be about £5 cheaper per month as an existing EE mobile customer.

Any thoughts on the wisdom of changing, or am i better off staying put? Oddly, average BT speeds quote 145mbps whereas EE say typically 100mbps...and I thought all providers were much the same on that score.

13 REPLIES 13
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

No matter if you are with BT or EE the speed your line will support will be the same. It is exactly the same equipment that will be used just that the hubs will have different branding on them.

Speeds quoted are just estimates no one will know what you will get unti it goes live but both will guarantee 100Mbps.

Will your 100Mbps be via G.FAST or FTTP? If you don't know enter your phone number HERE and post the result. Just remove your number, leave the rest of the table intact.

Aphid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Screen shot kept being rejected as having HTML issues (?) of the BT broadband availability report

===================

Telephone Number 01502****** on Exchange LOWESTOFT is served by Cabinet 83
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

77.4552013.949AvailableAvailable--
75.952.52012.444AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Upto 1000Upto 220--AvailableKCI2 Assure
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed RateBET
Up to 1--1 to 3.5AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 1--0.75 to 2.5AvailableAvailable--
0.5----AvailableAvailableYes
0.5----Available----
Up to 2----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2021-04-07
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
20-04-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

===================

I raise the speed issue because BT estimates have always been quite accurate over many years so I would expect to get the 145mbps estimate they quote, rather than the 100 mbps average suggested by the EE system. After all, there is an almost 50mbps difference.

I also wondered about the hardware. I have a BT SmartHub 2 currently and get excellent WiFi throughout my townhouse. You are suggesting that the EE hardware is basically a SmartHub 2 with an EE badge on it?

One final thing about landline. EE is without landline I believe...something I haven’t used to make a call for well over a year. So not sure if having the facility actually matters or not.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

You'll be getting FTTP so I wouldn't worry. Speeds will be the same from either provider.

Aphid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Good to know. Thanks. 

Do you know how the EE SmartHub and BT’s SmartHub 2 compare?

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

They are exactly the same just different company stamp on them. Only slight difference in firmware. EE is a BT Group company so using the same hub makes sense.

Aphid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for clarifying.

There are subtle but significant differences between BT SmartHub 1 and SmartHub 2. The fact that EE refer to their router as a “SmartHub” doesn’t, however, clarify if their SmartHub is built to the BT 1 or 2 specifications. Clearly you are saying the EE SmartHub is the same as the BT SmartHub 2.

So with EE, same speeds, same router, lower price for an 18 month Fibre 100 contract as opposed to a BT 24 month contract

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Correct.

Aphid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for your time and help with this. Much appreciated.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

No problem, glad I was able to help.