cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

ASUS DSL-AC88U Not Working Fibre Max Broadband 100

bobbyowens
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I've just bought a ASUS DSL-AC88U router that I believe should work on ee Fibre Max Broadband 100 based on: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Issues-with-the-DSL-cable-not-being-recognised-wh... 

I select VSDL and pick United Kingdon & ee and it picks up the PPoE & VLAN 101. I have all the settings username (from the ee router), password of HQNPASS followed by the number from my username but without the .fs, 

After that when trying to authenticate, it times out and asks to retry. Clicking Ok waits a while and times out again. Clicking Cancel shows "The account name and password has passed authentication but failed to get an IP address from your ISP. Please contact your ISP for assistance."

The DSL light flashes white occasionally but eventually just goes out

Could anyone please advise what I may be doing wrong

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@bobbyowens wrote:

I select VSDL

Does it have a "G.Fast" option where you are doing this? What are the other options?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

There's no g. fast options in the drop-down, only ADSL, ethernet & VDSL.

The next screen asks for country & provider, then the next is username & password

If I can't get this working does anyone know if I can use an ASUS RT-AC88U and the we smart router to get this working and if so, what the settings would be?

@bobbyowens wrote:

use an ASUS RT-AC88U

RT? I hope you never bought 1 of those. They have no modem at all. I thought you had bought the DSL-AC88U.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I know there's no modem but was wondering if I could used it via the WAN port and just use the we smart router as a modem. I have a friend selling one but would prefer to just use the DSL version I already have.

OK, it wasn't clear (to me at least) that you were talking about yet another router & so I was trying to confirm that you had bought the right router in the 1st place.

No worries.

Yes, I currently have the DSL-AC88U and have been trying to use it to replace the ee smart router but still can't get it working.

I still have the option to send it back and can get an RT cheap so was wondering if I could use that with the ee smart router being used just as a modem using the WAN port. Long time since I've played with modems so way out of touch.

Hi @bobbyowens ,

A quick sanity check that if you are using DSL, and not FTTP, the reference

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-fibre-max-145-and-fibr...

suggests EE's router will connect via an OpenReach modem.

Is this not the case and EE's router connects directly to the master socket? (I can't currently find full device details to check this possibility.)

Perhaps I'm looking at out of date information?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk : You are referring to out-of-date info. That article predates the EE Smart Router which does incorporate a G.Fast modem as should the DSL-AC88U according to Asus's specs.