cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4G home broadband router and Xbox party compatibility

Tipsymoth
Investigator
Investigator

We took delivery of a 4G router last week as an attempt to improve our woeful broadband speeds. Big mistake. I have a 16yo losing his tiny mind because he is struggling to join/stay in his Xbox party.

I can see there have been some issues with it with hot spots and I’ve tried the ideas to resolve that (namely turning off the parental controls) but is there a resolution for this with 4G routers? If not then when it is being sold there does need to be a question about whether this will be a necessary feature because really in this house it makes it pretty unfit for purpose 😔

If anyone has a fix I’d be grateful. I watched a streamed tv show the other day, I can’t do that with standard speeds here so I felt I’d joined the modern world!  (16yo has also bought himself an Xbox X series and I can’t bear the thought of that not working when it’s delivered!)

Many thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11

No, no fibre there at all & none planned.

You are getting 24 Meg, the best you can get from your type of BB. That should be at least bearable.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks, it’s so frustrating, our house is at right angles to the street. The rest of the village has fibre, it’s just the 3 houses 😔 on a little spur. The exchange is 3 doors away, the fibre box is 4 doors away.  In reality we don’t get 24, it tends to sit nearer low teens.  Hey ho, it is what it is.  I (and my neighbours) regularly register our interest on the bt site. 

Thank you for looking.