cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4G data issue

AlexOakley
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I have been unable to connect to the internet using my mobile data for the last few days. My Samsung A5 phone can connect to my home WiFi and access the internet okay. When I switch the WiFi off, the 4G+ icon appears in the top right of the screen. However, when I try to access the internet, eg via Chrome and other apps, then nothing happens. I tried doing a Speedtest too but it said it was unable to connect to the internet.

I can still make calls and I’ve checked the Network Coverage Checker and there are no issues in my area. I also tried to ‘Report a problem’ but it said ‘Sorry, something went wrong. We are unable to submit the form. Please try again later.’

I’ve tried restarting my phone and other general troubleshooting suggestions I found on the internet. All my apps and software are up to date.

Hence it must be an issue with either my Sim card or the network I believe. Please could anyone advise on what to do? I'm not clear on how to contact EE to resolve this issue. 

Thanks

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hello @AlexOakley 

Can you check whether individual apps have mobile data permissions enabled? If necessary, remove all data permissions & retry each app individually - this should force the apps to request data permissions.

Do you know of any friends or relatives who use EE in your local area - are they having any problems?

If necessary you can call EE C/S on 150 from your mobile.

Thanks for the quick response bristolian.

I was just testing that, and so had my phone set to data only when I actually received a Whatsapp message. I then tested another app, Twitter, and it appeared to eventually be able to download text, but not images. So I suspect the issue is actually just an incredibly slow download speed. I then tried using the Ookla Speedtest app, however, it was stuck on 'Connecting.. Finding server' before giving an error of 'Please check your connection and try again'. 

So my current thinking is that the download speed is just very slow in my area. I have full bars so the signal strength doesn't appear to be the issue. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the area on EE too so I can't check with someone else. 

I will try calling customer services then, unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far. 

You could check for known network issues in your locality on the status & coverage tool 

Select "check network" to access the status checker.

Thanks, I did try that previously and it said no known errors in the area. Further, I tried reporting an issue but there was an error in my submission (see my original post in this thread). I will try customer services next then.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AlexOakley

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Have you tried using another browser to report the issue on the coverage and network status checker? 

Are you using a mobile number or email address for updates? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Thanks for the message. I just went to report it on a different browser, and now it says a recently reported issue is being investigated which is good news. I signed up for updates on it.

Saying all that, I also just re-tested my data and it appears to be working as normal again now, so perhaps the issue has actually already been fixed. 

Thanks

Alex