cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message scam about rewards points from EE

Margih62
Investigator
Investigator

Hi is anyone else getting messages supposed to be from EE  saying they've got thousands of rewards points that's going to be  lost in 2 days if they dont  click on the link to spend them?

748 REPLIES 748
Steviewizkid
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry to tell you but they won't be arriving you have just been scammed please contact your bank ASAP and inform them of what has happened and cancel your bank card then please forward the text you received to ee on 7726 spam 

C-jennings
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry I'm afraid it's nothing to do with EE it's a scam that's been going around for sometime now. The most important thing to do like others have said is to contact your bank and let them know what's happened and then change any relevant passwords or details you entered.

It also seems that once people receive one message from the scammers they will receive another even if they blocked the original number so the scammers are using different numbers to send the messages multiple times.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @beckiboo1 

Welcome to the EE Community.

That isn't a genuine EE offer and text, please forward the message to 7726. 

If you have shared your card details, please contact your bank as soon as possible to report it.

Leanne.

Antoninus
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all.

A repeat scam text is making its rounds again about redeeming 5000 points reward for being a loyal customer.

I work in I.T.   it was so good that I fell for it. How stupid do i feel.

The only difference to a legit EE text is that it shows a mobile number instead of EE at the top.

This text was sent out within an hour of me receiving an official EE text message.

Today (a bank holiday) a charge was attempted on my bank account for nearly £300 to a XNappa Mobile. It was declined as I had alerted my bank. My card is now being reissued. 

If you had a similar experience recently please call your bank card services to flag, to prevent said charges to yourself.

I hope this helps someone avoid the irritation of having to renew their bank card.

Regards.

C-jennings
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Antonius.

I'm sorry to hear that. First of all please don't feel  stupid as you are not. Scammers are really efficient at what they do so can catch anyone out at anytime we all have those days where we are not fully switch on and having an off day and miss something we would normally spot but again scammers are crafty and will find lots of ways of catching people out unfortunately technology is out there for them to use and it seems easy for them to find.

I also received a second message and no doubt there maybe more as they don't seem to give up. Anyway I'm glad you contacted your bank and in doing so stopped them in their tracks.

If anyone receives a text message from EE like this don't hesitate just contact your bank I understand it can be frustrating waiting for a new bank card to arrive through the post but a least your account will be safe and look at it as a positive and that you've managed to stop these scammers in their tracks.

@Antoninus wrote:

The only difference to a legit EE text is that it shows a mobile number instead of EE at the top.

Wasn't another diff that the link to be clicked was to an obvious non-EE domain?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

The same Tinyurl are back scamming again about the points 

Michelblake
Visitor

1000008558.png

I received a text about the EE points program, from 07507 523351
"EE points program reminds you: Since you are a high-quality user of our company . . . etc etc"
Then there is a link to click, and finally . . .
"EE wishes you a good trip"
I guess this is a scam, but how can I check ?

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@MartinGM : It's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to get an award.

Report spam texts to your network provider by forwarding the text to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)