Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining EE - testing network

Piper_123
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of joining EE via pay month SIM only. 

Network Coverage Checker indicates good indoor and outdoor 4g coverage and same for 5g all be it on the edge of signal area.

However I have a company mobile on EE, SIM is limited to 4g (phone is 5g enabled) and signal is patchy downstairs indoors.

Before I commit, I want to try out the network in the places I go to frequently. I got a PAYG SIM only to find out these don't access 5g. 

So, any ideas peoples? How can I test out the network before deciding to buy? I'm not prepared to sign up for 2 years without doing so as I've found coverage checkers to be generous at best (and downright rubbish at worst O2 lol).

FYI I'm looking to bring 2 x SIM and home broadband to EE if this works.

Thank you (and sorry for long read).

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Piper_123 

Welcome to the community.

If you purchase your pay monthly SIM only plan over the phone or through the website, you get a 14 day cooling off period where you can test it, and cancel it if you're not happy with it.

Best SIM Only Deals and Pay Monthly SIM Contracts | EE Shop

Chris

Thank you for your feedback.

It feels a lot of hassle to sign up for a contract, port number (so no connection for up to a day), try it out then (if signal isn't as good as claimed) have to port again (again no connection for up to a day)..

Coverage checkers are notoriously flaky and unreliable. Yet networks insist you check them before signing up. Says it all that there is an disclaimer on the coverage pages of all networks saying "just a guide".

I just want to check the network out ahead of full fibre coming here and possibly moving home broadband and 2 Sims but EE putting up too many barriers here sadly.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Coverage checkers offered by all networks are a best guess based on computer modelling & predictions and are generally reasonably accurate - but are not immune from inaccuracies.

Is there anything you want to do with your phone for which 5G is essential and 4G insufficient? A PAYG SIM is plenty sufficient to test that, and 5G is currently deployed in NSA-mode anyway. Both 4G & 5G coverage will only improve with time and shouldn't regress.

It's certainly wise to test coverage before porting-in.

Hey there @bristolian 

Thank you so much for your reply.

Agree fully with you that coverage checkers are reasonably but not totally accurate.

As mentioned in my original post, I have a 5g works mobile but the company contract is only up to 4g. Indoors at home is patchy whereas coverage checker indicates good indoor and outdoor 4g. Coverage checker also indicates good indoor and outdoor 5g, all be it on the edge of signal range.

Hence why I would like to check out 5g. My neighbours are on Vodafone (as I am) or O2. But as full fibre is almost here, I'm thinking of moving to EE but unless I can successfully check out quality of signal then I will swap.

Again thank you 🤞

bristolian
Legend
Legend

5G is unlikely to exceed 4G in current config. Anywhere that 5G is deployed on low-band 700MHz (thus improving indoor coverage), 4G is also usually present on 800Mhz.

vpn2025
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

you could get a 1pmobile sim for testing the 5g signal, they are a mvno that run on the ee network

Piper_123
Investigator
Investigator

Thank you peoples, really appreciate your input.

I had hoped to be able to test without commit but what is coming across is that this isn't going to be achievable with EE.

I get the "sign up and cancel", the "5g Vs 4g" and try an MVNO. I've been in touch with Lyca who use EE but they seem completely unable to answer if they access Band 20 (they didn't but I see that they now offer WiFi calling and Volte).

So for now I'll stay with Vodafone. Who knows, maybe my employer may move to a 5g SIM in future.

Thank you