cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G multi SIM and old Nokia with T-Mobile account

Topaz99
Investigator
Investigator

I have received a new EE PAYM 5G Multi SIM in the post, and several text messages reminding me that I need to activate it.

I did not request this and am aware that other members of this forum have had very complicated issues when replacing their SIMs with the new 5G compatible one, including getting locked out.

My old Nokia phone is an ancient 'dumb phone' which I only use for SMS and the occasional call. It is, however, my only mobile phone. I've never understood the relationship between EE and T-Mobile: it says T-Mobile on my phone screen; however, I know that EE took it over and send me my invoices.

My question is: what happens if I keep using my current SIM? Also, can I be assured that the new SIM will be compatible, and that I will not get locked out and will not have to change my number?

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Topaz99 

Welcome to the community.

The multi-SIM is a standard SIM size and pops out into Micro and Nano SIMs for the newer phones.

It may be worth giving our Mobile Care team a call too, to look into what will happen if you use your old SIM and whether your phone is compatible with the EE network.
Chris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Christopher_G

Hi @Topaz99 

Welcome to the community.

The multi-SIM is a standard SIM size and pops out into Micro and Nano SIMs for the newer phones.

It may be worth giving our Mobile Care team a call too, to look into what will happen if you use your old SIM and whether your phone is compatible with the EE network.
Chris

Thanks - I'll give them a call.

Leanne_T

Let us know how you get on @Topaz99 

Leanne 🙂

So far, I haven't been able to get through to the Mobile Care Team. High volume of calls etc. I am about to go to my local EE store and see if I can speak to an actual human being. 

Thanks.

Leanne_T

The store will be happy to help you as well @Topaz99 

Leanne 🙂

Topaz99
Investigator
Investigator

The woman in the store said I should put the new SIM card in my old phone, even though this ancient Nokia won't be able to use 5G stuff. The current SIM will not be usable after the changeover. She said it would take between 2-3 days to upload, during which time I would be given a temporary number (!) and then it would revert to my existing number when it was all set up. She said the problem is that I have a T-Mobile account. That's not my fault - I never asked EE to take over T-Mobile! 

This all sounds very dodgy to me, and I don't quite trust it. The idea of losing my existing phone number is quite terrifying actually - it would totally mess up everything. I've had it for almost 20 years.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who is in the same situation, and has actually done this successfully.

Thanks.

Leanne_T

Hi @Topaz99 

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I would suggest calling us on 150 to see if this can be completed without needing a temporary number. 

Leanne.

Yes, I've tried ringing 150 but was kept waiting for ridiculous lengths of
time.
Leanne_T

If you could try again, one of the team will be happy to help as soon as they are free @Topaz99 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.