by AndrewHolden Investigator
Investigator

Re: Third party service MSFT Store

Hi,

I have had exactly the same tonight. 10 payments to MSFT store on my sons number. Nobody in the family has a Microsoft account or any Microsoft software/hardware and I was told by EE to talk to Microsoft because it is a 3rd party that has taken the payment.

Microsoft have no recoed of my son's number or what the payments are and said they cannot do anything.

EE won't help chase this as they say they don't have the information. They have put me in contact with the PSAuthority.

EE don't seem to care that their service and customers are obviously being scammed. I'm sure they are happy as they have £147 of my money in the meantime.

29 REPLIES 29
by paul4uk
Explorer

I’m still going through the complaint but have reached a stale mate

I agree I believe they are being scammed!
Investigator

Is that with the PSAuthority? There is obviously an issue here that EE need to resolve or at least be seen to be acting on their customers behalf. 

Investigator

I have just been in touch with a contact at the BBC Watchdog programme and will also be exploring other media routes. I work in the technology industry and will be exploring several routes to get this resolved especially if there is an issue with personal data being misused. I hope EE will acknowledge this is an issue which needs to be addressed. 

Investigator

No - only a sony playstaion
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AndrewHolden,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Have Microsoft searched for purchases under your son's Microsoft ID if he has one?

He'll have one if he has an XBOX gamer tag for example.

Thanks

James

Investigator

No neither of us have a Microsoft ID
by

HI @AndrewHolden,

Does your son have an XBOX or gaming PC?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Re: MSFT charges

Yes - I have had the same last month £139 taken to MSFT. EE said I had to call Microsoft. I did and Microsoft said that they had no record of my son's number or the transactions and couldn't help - they said to speak tpo EE (I am on a shared account with him). I/he does not have an XBOX or gaming PC. I/he has not made any purchases to our mobile account.

EE put me in contact with PSAuthority (who EE apparentyly pay to take car eof these sorts of fraudulent charges). Theuy said they couldn't help because MIcrosdoft said they had no record. PSAuthority said to call ACtionFraud which I did - but they said all they do is log these cases - they don't get you a refund.

As it stands EE have my money - cliam they can't do anything but and seem totally unbothered about acting on their customers behalf.

It seems that more and more people are having this issue with EE. I have cancelled my DIrect Debit to them until they sort this. They aren't having a single penny more of my money!

I think EE have had a serious data breach!

by

Hi @AndrewHolden

The MSFT code on your EE bill refers to the Microsoft app store.

As the service provider (Microsoft) have been unable to give you any information about what the charges are for, you have been correctly been referred to the Phone-paid services authority (PSA), who regulate charge to mobile services.

I recommend speaking to them again about your options.

Chris

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AndrewHolden: It can't be that easy to give someone else's mobile no to buy stuff unbeknownst to them. I don't believe MS would be so lax.

I've just tried a purchase & got this before I could buy:

Additional verification needed
We have texted a verification code to +44748*******.

Verification text is received at the mobile no. that you attempt to charge:

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Lea88
Visitor

This has just happened to me. My daughter let a friend use her telephone to do this not know she would be charged they said to her it was just for a code it would be free. And now ive had £300 taken out of my daughters phone bill (she is 12) and we dont even have a xbox! Ive been in contact with microsoft as ee wont help. They told me they are making a case and someone will contact me via phone or email. Im still waiting! Im furious as that was my pay id just got. Being a single mum and working part time. This cant be normal!

by

Good Morning @Lea88.

I am sorry to hear this has happened. 

Please keep us updated with your case with Microsoft. 

Katie 🙂

by Afrotink

I've just done a search to find out what these charges on my account were for and found this forum. I can't believe this has happened to so many other people, there are already additional charges on my account for next months bill. From these comments it seems that I won't be getting my money back.

by

Hi @Afrotink,

To use Microsoft mobile billing a code is sent to your phone via text message to confirm it's you before any payments can be made.

Has anyone else had access to your phone to receive the code?

Thanks

James

by Demonbarb Investigator
Investigator

So how has this just happened to me also? No codes received, nothing purchased by me from Microsoft, yet £127 charges taken in the space of 5 minutes? It is clearly a security issue with EE yet nobody wants to help, just read from scripts and do nothing. DDR stopped as charges not yet taken from my bank account.

by

Hi @Demonbarb

Welcome to the community.

Have you spoken to our Mobile Care team or Microsoft directly to find out more about these charges?

Chris

Investigator

No I never thought of that!

Of course I have, spent all day last Sunday and 3 hours this morning. Both as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Nobody wants to accept responsibility. However after providing Microsoft with reference numbers from my bill today they have processed a reclaim request but I won't know for 72 hours if they will refund the charges that are nothing to do with me.

This is obviously an issue as it appears many others have been charged in this way and quite frankly it needs sorting out instead of everyone passing the buck.

by

Hi @Demonbarb,

It's not possible to use Microsoft mobile billing without verifying the transaction with a code that is send to your mobile number.

Has anyone else had access to your phone to receive the code?

Does anyone in your household use a Microsoft device, such as an XBox that could be responsible for the charges?

Thanks

James

Investigator

James it is obviously possible as it's happened to so many people not just me, just read this entire thread!

My EE bill shows 8 payments to Microsoft, Microsoft HAVE NO RECORD of any payments or orders using my mobile number. I have proof that my order history with Microsoft has no orders on it as i don't have any Microsoft products. My phone is password protected, nobody else knows the password and nobody in my household of 3 people have access either and no  codes  have  been sent to my phone etc we have no inxbix products in our house. This is real, this has happened to too many people for it not to be a problem and EE needs to sort it out

Read more

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions