cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EE sim card doesn't work in my home country

Haukmin
Investigator
Investigator

I started using an EE SIM card with the 'Pay as you go' plan 6 months ago in the UK. Now, I am in my home country, Taiwan.

Despite showing the bars with R sign, I cannot use phone calls and SMS (which showed Failed to send).  There are still a few pounds left in my EE account.

Before I went back to my country, I went to the EE store and asked the staff about the SIM condition, and he told me that I could use it; actually, it is not.

Can someone please help me how to deal with this? I am afraid of losing my phone number if I can't use it once a month.

24 REPLIES 24

yes, I tried. 

Haukmin

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Did you use the SIM card whilst you were in the UK to send a text message or make a phone call, @Haukmin?

Chris

Yes. I did use it as my only SIM card in the UK, including calling (both charged and free calls), SMSing, buying PAYG packages monthly, and topping up.

After I've arrived in my country, I only got a message from 150 (To use data on your phone, you need an add-on or pack).
That's all. I do not want to use data with my EE SIM here, but I want to keep it alive while I'm still here.

Kind regards

Haukmin

Christopher_G

OK thanks @Haukmin. It sounds like your SIM is set up for international roaming, since you received that text message.

Are you in an area that has good mobile coverage?

Chris

Yes, I do have. However, I'm quite why I couldn't use my EE sim even with my remaining 5 GBP inside. 

Haukmin

Christopher_G

Your pack data doesn't cover you for roaming, @Haukmin. You would need to purchase a roaming data add-on from the link that you received on the 'welcome' message.

Chris

Thank you for your concern, Chris. As I mentioned above, I do not want to use a roaming data with EE SIM, but I just want to keep it alive by sending a SMS or calling someone with that. 

Haukmin

& you should be able to do that up to extent of £5 providing it hasn't gone into hibernation.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yeah. Unfortunately, I could do nothing. 

James_B

What type of phone are you using, @Haukmin?

James