cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EE sim card doesn't work in my home country

Haukmin
Investigator
Investigator

I started using an EE SIM card with the 'Pay as you go' plan 6 months ago in the UK. Now, I am in my home country, Taiwan.

Despite showing the bars with R sign, I cannot use phone calls and SMS (which showed Failed to send).  There are still a few pounds left in my EE account.

Before I went back to my country, I went to the EE store and asked the staff about the SIM condition, and he told me that I could use it; actually, it is not.

Can someone please help me how to deal with this? I am afraid of losing my phone number if I can't use it once a month.

24 REPLIES 24
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Haukmin : Your PAYG pack is only valid in the EU. Taiwan is not in EU. You will need to top-up to make calls & texts.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have 5 pounds left in my account. With this, could I be able to make calls and texts? Do I have to top-up again to activate this calls and texts? 
Regards

Yes, you should be able to. Calls are £1.80/min & texts are 60p each.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

But I tried a few seconds ago with my remaining balance. It didn't work. Could you pls enlighten me?

With regards

Maybe your PAYG SIM has gone into hibernation.

When did you last use it for a chargeable action? EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-chargeable use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

I started using PAYG since I bought it from a vending machine. I started with a 20 GBP package and changed to a 10 GBP package 3 months later. My current package is still alive and will be expired on Jan 26, 2024.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Have you tried selecting a different network manually, @Haukmin?

James

Yep, I have two SIM cards (Local sim + EE sim), and I selected one manually and tried another. But still, it didn't work. 

With regards

Haukmin

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Have you tried all available networks, @Haukmin?

James