cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of ID

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Ok so if somebody orders something to be delivered to their home address and they are already EE customers and have been for years and the delivery address is their billing address why do they need proof of identity ?

I get the need to chck ID for new customers and when excisting customers opt to pick up in store but why when your delivering to an address already being used as a billing address do I need to prove I am me ! 

And what exactly is the process if a customer doesnt have any of the forms of ID that EE state are accepted ? Are they then excluded from being customers or if excisting customers upgrading ?

54 REPLIES 54
Profile closed
Not applicable

@Dmh62 You and I would have to go to an EE store to collect an EE phone we had ordered online. A home delivery person wouldn't deliver to us without photo ID. I find that acceptable, don't you? 

There ought to be a UK ID Card System in place. But sadly there has long been resistance to having one. 

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So basically then you believe that anyone who doesn't drive and doesn't need a passport shouldn't be allowed to have a new phone ? 

Im not belittling your experience I 100% believe you that it is a horrible experience to have someone steal your identity for gain must be horrific but you and others still haven't answered the question - if you don't drive jd don't need a passport why should you be treated like a criminal and denied something ? 

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The shops won't give you an upgrade without ID and to be honest I understand that completely the issue I have is the insistence on a particular form of photo ID not everyone has when they are coming to the registered address of an exsistimg  customer, in hthat instance I really don't see the need 

if a thief gets your details jd then tries to change the contact details online you get a message telling you and if it's not genuine then you ring up and tell them so delivering to the registered address of a customer is less of a security risk than delivering to a store. 

Profile closed
Not applicable

@Dmh62 are you even reading my replies? I've told you 3 times now that I'm in your situation, too, and that I've managed to collect EE online phone upgrades from EE stores without a passport or driving license. You even said that you've managed it - though you did get angry doing so. So, clearly EE is allowing us to get phones from them at a store of our choosing. We can not expect the home dispatcher to accept alternative ID evidence. But we can expect an EE store to accept alternative ID evidence when we provide sufficient.

And please indicate to whom you are replying. 

You dont need to drive to own a provisional. They cost about £25 to get. Last 10 years.

You can get a citizen ID form from any good off license which has the pass logo and is acceptable for of ID. I believe they only cost £8. Or did when I worked in retail but may have gone up in price now.

No one says it has to be just driving license or passport.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

BrendonH I suggest you go and look at the EE terms and conditions it states quite clearly what they accept and neither of your suggestions are on there and it still doesn't address the point about existing customers in their OWN homes. I've already said I understand the need for ID in store umpteen times!!!

other companies ( including Apple who sell stuff a LOT more expensive than a phone)  who require photographic ID accept work ID badges and 1 other form of ID so why don't EE ? 

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Tyler yes I am and I'm sorry but the experience I had in an EE shop was not one I will ever be repeating 

I have never met such a rude aggressive sales person in my whole life - and not just to me about it, he was the same with the customer services supervisor on the phone They will not accept any other form of ID than a passport or full licience. I spent thousands on a MAC book from the Apple Store and didn't need all that and was treated with a lot more courtesy 

when im handing my hard earned cash over I expect to be treated with courtesy  and not made to jump through stupid bloody hoops and the delivery to your own home isn't any better so I guess once my contract runs out I will be getting a SIM from giff gaff or the like and waving goodbye to a company that seems to go out of its way to make life difficult 

There are plenty of ways to provide security without treating your customers like criminals 

You dont get the reasons why they are asking for ID because you are here contesting the fact why they do.

They are not treating you like a criminal they are trying to stop criminals from making their customers a victim of fraud.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I will say this one more time !!

i DO get why they need ID when somebody walks into a shop to collect an order/ make a purchase BUT nobody on here has been able to justify WHY they need it when delivering to a long standing customers home, to the address they send the bills to without requiring ID. They send the order confirmation to the registers email address - which if a fraudster tried to change the customer would be sent notification to their email whilst in fact it would make far more sense in terms of spotting fraud to send a text to the EE phone the customer already has - or is this super con man able to change the number EE have for customers ????

Not everybody has a driving licience not everybody has a passport so WHY are those the forms of ID that EE insist on there are other forms of ID and other companies- as I have said- accept them so why don't EE when delivering to exsistimg customers homes. I'm not talking about new customers I am talking about customers who already have a relationship with EE 

@Dmh62 

You keep saying about "customers who have relationships" but EE or the DPD driver don't know you from Adam. Handing over thousand + pound of equipment to someone without checking who they are, is just foolish, surely you can see that point. 

The simple fact is it's a security measure to protect both EE and you, as I've said. Those are the rules. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.