cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of ID

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Ok so if somebody orders something to be delivered to their home address and they are already EE customers and have been for years and the delivery address is their billing address why do they need proof of identity ?

I get the need to chck ID for new customers and when excisting customers opt to pick up in store but why when your delivering to an address already being used as a billing address do I need to prove I am me ! 

And what exactly is the process if a customer doesnt have any of the forms of ID that EE state are accepted ? Are they then excluded from being customers or if excisting customers upgrading ?

54 REPLIES 54

@Ace1703 you've been lucky. Every network requires ID 

By sound of it your local DPD driver isn't asking like he is required to.

Asking for ID is to make sure it's you that ordered the phone. Credit checks doesn't do that. Credit check isn't proof you ordered it yourself 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

So does that mean that if I upgrade in store, that I'll need a passport or a driving licence? What happens if I have neither of those? Seems a bit unfair to those who cannot / do not drive or cannot afford to travel abroad, therefore do not need for a passport.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Yollie_11

Thanks for coming here. 

To pick up a device in store, you would need a valid form of ID (a passport or photo driving licence)

Leanne. 

The situation is really stupid. My SIM card started having problems, so I thought I'd ask for a replacement. I went to a store, explained, showed my ID card. No, ID cards not accepted, either passport or driving licence. Alright, I come again the next day with my passport. No, not accepted, must be a UK passport.

What the hell, EE?! So I signed up for the contract two years ago using my ID card (I've never had a UK passport or licence), but now I can't use the same document to get a replacement SIM card?! Are your services now only available to Brits or what? Why is it more difficult to get a SIM card than to open a bank account?

Leanne_T

Hi there @kjus13

I'm very sorry to hear this. 

Our EE stores will accept a passport (from any country) or a UK photocard driving licence.

You can find full details in our How do I swap my SIM or get a new SIM?, Help page. 

Leanne. 

What sort of other id can i take into a store?
My passport isn't valid now and i don't have a driving licence  

I have a debit card 

James_B

Hi @Sarahjohn49,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Sorry, you would need need a valid passport or drivers license as identification.

James

GDM2500
Explorer

Can I just ask if you are a loyal customer like have been with EE for 23 years. You are told your new SIM will be delivered in 48 hours. It’s not delivered in a week. You are told to go an EE shop to pick it up as a new solution. You are told to bring your passport.

You bring your passport and stand next to it but are then told in store the passport needs to be scanned to make sure it’s you….. firstly it’s pretty insulting and secondly I don’t want my passport on systems of companies for a number of pretty obvious reasons not least of which is risk of cyber attack and theft etc…. Shame on you EE. Your in store operatives were about as helpful as a chocolate teapot and I was told I would have to wait at least half an hour to have my passport scanned. When I spoke to EE customer services this so called process was never mentioned. How many calls and store visits does it take you to deliver the service and product I paid for? Not good enough by far.

James_B

Hi @GDM2500,

I'm sorry to hear your SIM hasn't arrived yet. They can take 2-5 working days to be delivered by post.

To collect a SIM in store, you would have to follow the identity check process that is in place to protect you from identity fraud.

James