cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi Calling

rwalker561
Explorer

I have a Motorola phone with 'wi-fi calling' available. It is an unlocked phone. I wish to use it on an EE Monthly account. I have Vodafone broadband at home. Can I use wi-fi calling in my home with this phone / ISPN with my EE SIM in my phone ?

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

WiFi Calling works over any UK BB connection.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

2 years ago I had to buy a phone locked to Vodafone to get this. Has anything changed?

Sorry, what I meant was I had to have a phone locked to the specific service to get wi-fi calling. I even bought a 'wi-fi calling' unlocked phone and spent ages trying to get it to work before  being told the phone had to be supplied by the broadband provider. Not sure if that is still the case or if I can now buy any unlocked phone with the wi-fi calling feature and use it on any broadband service including EE (obvs).

Don't see why you had to. Anyway 2 years ago all phones were sold unlocked.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@rwalker561  2 years ago you had to have a specific tariff to have Wi-Fi calling with Vodafone.   The device didn’t have to be supplied by Vodafone,   Who ever told you this was lying.

You wouldn’t be able to use Wi-Fi calling unless you was connected to a Vodafone WiFi connection otherwise.     

Sorry, not only did Vodafone tell me that, but, having just bought an unlocked phone that didn't work with them, I returned it to Currys and bought an identical phone from Vodavofne that did work. Thanks for your input, all the same. No-one was lying, that's what happened.cheers, Rob

@rwalker561   That doesn’t prove anything.  There could be a few reasons why it didn’t work for when you tried it it doesn’t mean you couldn’t get it to  work.  

I’ll prove this. 
 No network is allowed to install anything on an iPhone. You can purchase that iPhone from anywhere and use it with any network and providing that network supports Wi-Fi calling it’ll work no matter what broadband provider you are with.    You might not of got an iPhone but it proves the point that the doesn’t have to be supplied by the ISP./network provider.  What would you do if you didn’t have BB with Vodafone.     

It’s up to you if you want to take my word on this.  

I don't have an iPhone. I have never had an iPhone. Sorry, what are you trying to tell me?

He's trying to say, I think, any phone that supports WiFi Calling running on a network that supports WiFi Calling will be able to WiFi Call over any Broadband network.

I should like to add for myself that your original postulate that you had to buy a locked phone 2 years ago does not make sense. No phones sold 2 years ago were locked by edict of Ofcom.