cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the option to merge calls but it’s not working. How do I fix this?

Sai2019
Visitor

Please help

127 REPLIES 127
mdc1983uk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@__A  EE don't give a damn about their customers is the whole point of it.  Any normal company would work around possible fraud issues and their evidence to give to authorities as an advantage.  Just to stop the 3way calling says hey we don't care, we just block the issue like crime doesn't happen but we won't be implicated in it.  In reality they could give a nice hefty database of people who abuse 3way calling to action fraud and probably shut down some numbers from it.  But it's easier to close ones eyes and move one eh?

But, you shouldn't have had 3way calling removed mid-contract? It was still on my plan until I upgraded a couple of days ago. They don't sell it as a feature so we don't have much of a leg to stand on. It really is a case of go somewhere else and they don't care!

I’m sorry but this is an awful answer to a question that has clearly annoyed customers.

It doesn’t form part of the contract so it can be removed any time.

Accessing Google doesn’t form part of it either does that mean they could just remove it, probably yes.

Maybe not a good example but you get the point. These companies offer us many features without which you wouldn’t be able to use your phone. Every user has there own essential needs and it right to say this is variable. So EE has to be accommodating and provide all of these. But when it doesn’t suit there monetisation framework it has to be scrapped.

Enough of a rant from me, let’s think of a solution- fine a carrier that offers the feature and join them leave EE!

mdc1983uk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@__AAre you actually trying to say it costs EE money to run 3way calling? Its a network inherent feature that has been around since the days of 2G GSM. In fact, it was a selling point of mobiles over landlines back in the 1990's along with caller ID. It probably actually costs them money to have that feature took off their systems rather than they gain from it.

In fact they have turned a secure system into unsecure! Whatever fraud or the heck they talk about with 3way calls at least we had the option to merge the call or not. Ok the 3rd party maybe didn't but you can be listened to on speakerphone, or streamed live on youtube on a call anyway.... Big deal?

Taken from EE webpage https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/general/plans-and-features/group-call

So now to conference call you must just guess a PIN but not use anything easy like 111111 or 123456.  I'd rather just be able to merge my own calls thanks!

My advice to you is settle up and go where this facility is enabled as it should be - Vodafone

I agree I'm off to Vodafone!

I think it's high time EE allowed/ reestablished 3 way calling without hassle of setting up an I'd for group calling. Its very annoying 

@Tkaz   It was removed because it’s not secure,   

__A
Investigator
Investigator

@Tkaz as @Chris_B stated the official line is that it was removed because it was insecure. This is a typical response many companies give just to skip the criticism, they haven't actually given a reason for why it's judged to be insecure.

They have said people can impersonate or have other people on the call without everyone's knowledge. This is not actually ee's concern as this can happen without the use of 3-way calling. Interesting enough this is being treated similarly to recording calls, which is always a controversial topic, but people are allowed to do it in a personal capacity as allowed in the UK under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

In simple form, ee did not see any profitability in keeping the feature so removed it. Many post's claim it's ee decision, yes that it is but they removed the feature without informing customers and made an alternative which you have to pay for. It's like you just buy a new home and when you move in the person took the carpet with them.

mdc1983uk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
It's been a while since I left EE now, but the line I was spun was that it
was deemed a fraud risk. Apparently merging calls without someone's
knowledge is worse than being put on speakerphone in a room full of people
or recorded. Possibly they just wanted to prevent people giving out free
calls to people without credit on prepay or something. Either way, they
completely took the ability to add 3way calls from the backend systems so
it won't be coming back ever. They used to be able to get a manager to
readd the feature if you'd had it before but that's impossible now.

If it's a feature you really want or need I recommend Vodafone. Been having
upto 6way calls on inclusive minutes with them for months now and it's dead
easy to setup. Good for family get togethers, online gaming with friends or
helping someone sort out a problem with a call centre they are getting the
run around from. All calls may be recorded or monitored and all that...

I just signed up to EE and went to add a call as I frequently do as part of my work to quickly get someone involved to solve a problem. I had no idea that EE didn't offer this like all the other networks do, I was on BT mobile - they offer it. My wife is on Vodafone - they offer it. etc etc. If I had known about this I would have gone with a different provider now I have to wait 23 and half months to get the feature back by moving provider. 

Adverts for EE contracts should come with a warning - "EE Doesn't offer the BASIC facilities that OTHER suppliers provide, Good luck finding out what they are BEFORE you sign up"