cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking 0843 numbers

Harriet37
Investigator
Investigator

This is a perennial problem for many people receiving increasing numbers of unsolicited 0843 calls. 

These 0843 numbers can be blocked individually but organised scammers have hundred of these numbers so just call again using a different 0843 number.

Why does EE not allow the prefix 0843 to be blocked?

Surely it is not that much of a technical conundrum? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Blocking entire number ranges at core-network level is not an organisational issue, it's a technical one. Though it does have some non-technical implications.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Harriet37 

I am sorry to hear you are receiving nuisance calls. 

We are unable to block a certain prefix from calling you, have you signed up to the Telephone Preference Service?

Please see Avoid unwanted texts or calls for some helpful tips on these types of calls. 

Leanne. 

I am on TPS which is useless!

If you do not allow block prefix 0843 numbers why not?

It is not impossible to do - it is an organisational choice. Is there an organisation reason for not allowing this?

We put people in space yet blocking scam prefix numbers seems to beyond the bounds of modern technology …. Or organisation choice? Why?

Thanks
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Blocking entire number ranges at core-network level is not an organisational issue, it's a technical one. Though it does have some non-technical implications.

Carolyn-P
Visitor

Am totally with you on this Harriet, I have been getting these for a couple of years. At last count I have over  80+ 0843 numbers blocked in my phone.  Ofcom useless, TPS useless, EE don't/won't do anything about this.  

At least O2 are trying to work with Ofcom to stop these companies profiteering from these scam calls. It’s a shame EE don’t have the same support for their customers. Maybe we should move to O2?

@DMF500 wrote:

At least O2 are trying to work with Ofcom to stop these companies profiteering from these scam calls.

I presume you're referring to some recent PR around spam calls & texts. If so, O2 are using the same technology that EE have already utilised for some time.

Harriet37
Investigator
Investigator

Utter nonsense - you could block or allow customers to choose to block 0843 numbers but EE decides not to. It is an organisational choice. 
meanwhile customers are placed with scam calls. 

Don’t care whether it’s an organisational or technical issue. EE needs to sort it out as customers are played by 0843 scam numbers on a long basis and has been known problem for years. 

If you read my original post, she will see that I already mentioned telephone preference service which I’ve signed up to and is absolutely useless. It does not stop scam.