Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple RCS / MMS Part-Implemented?

richr88
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I have an iPhone and use iMessage. I am also in the process of switching carrier from O2 to EE so have both numbers active as eSIMs in my iPhone 15.

Recently, (and since the Apple RCS announcement, though I know it has not been implemented yet), I've noticed I can send thumbs-ups and voice notes via my iPhone from my O2 number to some friends who do not have iPhones using the messages app. Thumbs ups work on my EE number, but voice notes fail to send on my EE number.

What is going on? Can I fix this by changing a setting? Or do I need to wait for EE / Apple to more fully implement RCS, MMS or other standards?

I really want to delete all my third-party messaging apps (I hate WhatsApp and tolerate Signal) but be able to voice note anyone from the messages app on my iPhone, regardless of which platform they use. I was hoping RCS would implement this by the end of 2024, and my ability to voice note some people from my O2 number (even though they're on android) might have meant the implementation had started. Alas, it doesn't work on EE yet for some reason...

14 REPLIES 14
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@richr88  MMS will always send if they are enabled on the iPhone regardless of the network operator.   This isn’t RCS being part implemented on O2 as you know it’s not been released via Apple yet on iOS so it’s not on the device to offer such a feature.   This is something else. 

To send a voice note to Android from a iPhone 

• Open the Voice Memo app
  • Record a message
  • Save it
  • Tap on the message you just recorded
  • Tap the "share" icon (the square with the up arrow)
  • Tap the Message icon
  • Address the message
  • Tap the Send button

plus

i just tried recording a voice message to an android user and it worked via the messages app.  They are not on EE

You've ignored my question.

I do not need to use the Voice notes app. Voice messages send natively from my O2 number via Apple messages to some Android users. They fail when sent from EE.

I know how to use tech. I do not need instructions on how to use my phone. I know there is some technical / carrier / other issue here because a feature I know how to use works on O2 but the same feature does not work on EE on the same phone.

@richr88 wrote:

I know how to use tech. I do not need instructions on how to use my phone

Many users come to this forum with varying levels of knowledge, so none can be sensibly assumed.

Chris_B is a regular user of this forum who is familiar with the Apple ecosystem.

Fair enough.

Now, can anyone answer my actual query?

I'd genuinely be super grateful if anyone could answer this.

@richr88  As I also stated I can send voice messages and this was via the message app and not using the voice memo app first to record that voice message.  So it clearly does work from a iPhone on the EE network to an Android user.  

IMG_2077.jpeg

This wasn’t using the voice memo app to record the voice it was directly in the message app.  As you can see it sent.   This even  cost me as it goes as an MMS.  Just happy to prove my point   

Just to check do you have a spend cap of £0 as this will mean you can not send an MMS as these are charged   If you do try reading THIS 

So why does it work from my O2 eSIM but not my EE one? MMS is enabled on both.

This isn't about proving points. It's sad point-scoring makes you happy. This is about me getting it to work. I've followed all the advice you gave and it still doesn't work.

What would your fix be please?

@Chris_B is just saying he spent money just to test his suggestion to help with your issue. That's the only point, not any scoring!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)