cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated Sim not working abroad

Beckie21
Investigator
Investigator

My daughter is in spain and her eSIM has not been working since February. I was advised to get an activated sim, which I did from the Ee shop and sent it to her. She has put it in phone and still not working.. Have been given conflicting advice of that it  had to be activated in the UK  before I sent it and also that I didn’t need to do that. 150 are saying it is showing as activated but she has nothing. Getting very frustrating as I am  paying for a contract that hasn’t worked since February. 

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Beckie21   The sim has to be activated and at least a call/text made from that sim in the UK. You can not activate a sim on a roaming network.  You say she used the eSim so from that I take it she’s a contract customer.    Roaming is for short stays abroad no longer than 2 months in any 4 months period.     Was roaming enabled on the account before your daughter left the UK ?  This is done by texting ROAM to 150 before leaving the UK.  If this was done has or was a roaming pass purchased ? This is £25 per month or is your daughter paying the daily charge of £2.47 to use her allowances ?  Has a spend cap been put on the account?  If there is a spend cap this can stop the daily charge if it reaches that spend cap.  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@Beckie21 wrote:

My daughter is in spain and her eSIM has not been working since February....She has put it in phone and still not working..

Has your daughter's phone ever had coverage of a foreign network? Being an eSIM, I presume it was used on EE's UK network between being registered in February and her travelling abroad - by virtue of the phone being switched on?

If yes to the above points, has she used it on a foreign network in the intervening time?

Clarification on these points will provide the basis for a timeline here, which will then guide towards diagnosis of the issue.

Yes she had used it both it the uk and abroad for several months up until feb. She was in the Uk traveling back to Spain and it just stopped when she landed and switched off airplane mode. Never worked since

hello, yes she has a  contract package that includes abroad  usage. And she text roaming.  And we have looked at the spend cap. 
Do you still have to call/ text in Uk even if the EE shop gave me an activated SIM.? 
many thanks. 

@Beckie21 wrote:

Yes she had used it both it the uk and abroad for several months up until feb

That demonstrates roaming was active, unless your daughter specifically requested it removed - it should still be active.

Assuming your daughter has tried connecting to every local network manually, the next step would be to eliminate an account-specific issue by contacting CS from another phone. You can either contact +44 7953 966150 from another working phone, or +44 800 0798586 using a web-calling app such as Skype over WiFi.