cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Practically non existent signal

RickS037
Investigator
Investigator

Good and Poor reception areas..? Agreed.., (Postcode Lottery)

The problem is, that this was reported to EE and I received a reply from them stating that the issue was fixed, but it isn't. I have a need to use my mobile in my village and out of Wi-Fi range and with no signal it is useless and I have to track down a landline.

Mr Bacon is repeatedly on the TV stating that EE has the best coverage (!) well, he'd better try my village next time..!

7 REPLIES 7
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RickS037,

What does the coverage checker report for your area?

James

Thanks for the interest in this chaps...

Poor - the issue is, that I reported this the EE and they replied that they were aware of the problem. Several weeks later I received another message, stating that the issue (whatever it was) was fixed, but it isn't. Reception is still sporadic at best.

The problem is, that that the mast and the particular cell ('7368704' Cell 0) is the other side of a hill to my reception point and the village itself, so I don't think that much can be done apart from a new mast/antenna/radio head.. which isn't likely. A good 75% of the village is in the 'shadow' of the hill.

I'm just a little miffed that EE said that the issue was fixed, when in fact it wasn't...

RickS037
Investigator
Investigator

cellmapper.net shows it very well. The village in question is Westcott (RH4 3QE) and is surrounded by hills (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty I think they call it..!) 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RickS037,

If the signal you're receiving in your area doesn't match the coverage checker results, please report an problem via the Network Status Checker so our network team can investigate.

Thanks

James

Done - Let's see what happens..!

RickS037
Investigator
Investigator

So... 10 (ten..!) month later and no development or improvement, despite reporting through the Network Checker. Have reported it to a visiting engineer and the guys at the local EE High Street shop also.

What is the point of having a 'backup' broadband feature, in the event of the broadband 'going down', if there is an unreliable 4G signal. None, from my point of view.

@RickS037 wrote:

What is the point of having a 'backup' broadband feature, in the event of the broadband 'going down', if there is an unreliable 4G signal.

Mobile coverage will be a reliable backup to the majority of users, but there will always be some for whom this is not the case.

From your description of the landscape in your locality, the permanent resolution here is likely to be a new network site and/or  a height increase on the existing one. Both of these would likely require full LPA planning consent.