cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I use a repeater to boost a very weak EE signal in my home?

Flowboy
Explorer

Hi, interested to know how you got on with this.

we have had problems with virtually no signal, calls not possible etc. The "pat" answer is "just use wifi calling (VOIP?) but this makes the assumption you have broadband & that it works.

Having suffered several years of absolutely useless broadband due to rural area & constant line problems, wifi calling has not been possible either. I am looking into boosters of some sort. Previously BT supplied a smart booster box (3G I think) which helped but only when the broadband was working, which wasn't very often, and anyway they stopped supporting the set up sometime ago. 

As BT mobile used the EE network I checked a few years back on another cell phone site to see where the nearest mast was & found the outermost circle of its signal is in a field about 500 yards away. I can get texts etc if I walk there...  If I try to check on the EE signal checker, it doesn't even recognise my phone (a 3 year old Sony XZ2 compact) so that is no help.

I read that smaller phones like mine can have trouble in low signal areas but its always been fine elsewhere.   Other websites show there is EE signal in the area which is clearly incorrect. They also show other providers have signal but as the EE info is duff, I am reluctant to change to another provider, in case it turns out there's no signal for them either!

I guess when fibre broadband eventually gets here then it will be wifi calling

1 REPLY 1
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You're correct to say that WiFi-calling is EE's recommended solution for indoor coverage issues, and this is broadly reflected across the industry.

Yours sounds like a case where the ideal solution is a new network site, that will come with all the timescales associated with additional rollout. The website coverage checker only asks for the phone model to filter out certain techs or frequency bands, you can safely choose the nearest alternative device.

The backhaul requirements for WiFi-calling and the legacy 3G signal-box are very similar, and if the latter worked - the former will.