cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor call quality and internet tethering capped to 5mbps in NN8 4RT area

things4u2get
Contributor
Contributor

I’m a long standing payg customer with over 40gb data allowance in my account. However, over the last few weeks  I’ve notice poor call quality and more recently data speeds have dropped considerably.  I sometimes use a TP link 4G router to use up my allowance which now doesn’t seem to go faster than 5mbps with just basic PC browser or tablet.

Speed tests on a couple of handsets without tethering in the same location as router will reach 20mps fine. All APN settings are correct. Yet using router or tethering on any handset (either USB or Wifi) speed will not test above 5mpbs on any device.

Calls are also hard to make / receive on any handset without moving closer to a window or even outside!

My neighbour has also complained of similar call issues, embarrassingly I recommended EE to them some time back… oops! Nothing has changed my end. Is there a mast issue or some  PAYG capping that has come in place recently? New EE service status page is pretty useless at reporting faults.

Any help much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@things4u2get : PAYG SIMs are capped to 20 Meg, but that doesn't seem to be your problem,

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi thanks for your reply, yes 20meg was more than enough for what i need. However in struggling to get even that in any router / tethering device. Have tried everything i can think of my end, apart from another network...

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Can you explain the poor call quality? And is this location-specific or a general issue?

Are you using Android or iOS? And regardless of which, are you able to use mobile data services whilst on a call?

Hi thanks for your reply. Call quality issues are  an issue in just this general post code area. There fine in other areas or towns etc around the UK. Poor quality in terms of clarity and lack of duplex. Disconnecting and re connecting sometimes improves this. Not practical with an incoming call!  All handsets are Android and funny you should mention, no, they drop data services while in a call, gradually from 4G down to no data but full signal (2G?). Normal data signal will resume backup to 4G after the call has ended. If that makes sense.

I just presumed this was a PAYG thing since this always happened anywhere, on any handset since day one of being with EE PAYG. Never did this on Vodafone.

When using the same SIM in the 4G router instead this would show 50% signal strength but now struggles to reach over 5mpbs where previously it could reach the limit of 20 with no issues with same signal strength. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @things4u2get,

Have you activated 4G Calling in your phone's settings? 

If your phone is compatible and 4G calling is on, you'll be able to make calls over 4G, rather than reverting to 2G.

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Losing data during a call is an indication you don't have a VoLTE-compatible phone/SIM. With the 3G network being switched off, your voice calls will now be using 2G. This doesn't support the same wideband voice codecs and explains your clarity issues.

The solution is to ensure you're using a VoLTE-compatible phone which can then utilise the wideband codecs. VF have their own issues with 3G switchoff!

things4u2get
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Call quality issues i can understand but would these relate to the data speed issues i'm having when using the sim in a 4G router or trying to tether? 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @things4u2get

When you search your area using the Service Checker do any known issues show? if there is this could be affecting your 4G. 

Katie

Hi i get this when following the link after logging in: 

Image1.jpg

find out more link gives me this:

Image2.jpg