Signal booster

SLA86
Investigator
Investigator

Recently moved house, mobile signal outside is good, but inside the house is awful. Any tips for some sort of signal booster? Dont want to rely on WiFi calling alone. I have phoned EE and they were unable to help. Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Ofcom-approved signal boosters cost 3-figure sums , out of interest what's the issue with relying on WiFi-calling alone?

WiFi-calling will only kick in when mobile coverage is deemed unusable, so although mobile coverage is always preferable - it eliminates the need for VoWiFi when available.

My job requires me to be on-call for emergencies and so although it's unlikely the WiFi would be down I'm concerned about fully relying on it. Just trying to see what options I might have as have never encountered this issue.

@SLA86   So you’re not concerned about fully relying on a cellular network that can also have outages.  Cellular networks are not 100% error free they can have local outages also.

All I'm trying to do is see what options I have to give me the best chance at having a signal in my house. So I figured having WiFi calling and someway to boost the mobile signal would be the best way to do this. I'm not suggesting anything will be error free. I only came on here to see if someone was able to give me advice if they had experienced similar. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If there were a cheap & effective solution to poor indoor coverage, it would be the panacea to provide blanket national indoor coverage - and be deployed by network operators in a flash!!

WiFi-calling is the recommended solution - if 100% 24x7x365 connectivity is crucial, then having multiple broadband connections is the only realistic solution - and make sure they're not all using Openreach as that just creates another single point of failure.

That will come with cost implications, so you'll need to weigh up the likelihood of there being a network failure versus the cost of mitigating for it.