cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in Westgate-on-Sea

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Update: 03 May 2024

Over the past few months, our engineers have been progressing with surveys and designs at multiple locations to make sure an area will be suitable for the new mast. Providing no complications are found during the legal process to start building the equipment needed at the location, we expect the mast to be on-air by the end of 2024. 

We will keep you updated on this post.

Update: 23 January 2024

Over the past few months, our engineers have been working the site providers to access the areas we have located for a replacement mast and complete surveys to make sure the area will be suitable for the equipment needed for the new mast.

One we have completed surveys of the areas and found a suitable location for the equipment, we can start legal steps to legally acquire the land from the site provider and start building the equipment needed for the new mast.

Update:  03 August 2023

Our engineers have had the lease appeal rejected by the Secretary of State and we will no longer be progressing with planning permission for this location. We started looking for a new location for a replacement mast in case the decision was not overturned from the appeal, and we were forced to abandon the build.

Over the past few months, we have located several areas and are currently conducting surveys to make sure the locations will be suitable for the equipment. Pending a positive outcome and a new area that will be suitable, we can start building the equipment needed for the new mast and confirm an approximate on-air date.

Update:  11 May 2023

Over the past few months, our engineers submitted the amended designs and lease appeal to the Secretary of State and are currently waiting for a decision from the appeal. Pending a positive outcome from the appeal, we will start building the equipment after the cricket season concludes in September.

Our engineers started looking for a new location for a replacement mast, in case the decision is not overturned from the appeal and we are forced to abandon the build. We have located several areas and are currently conducting surveys to make sure the locations will be suitable for the equipment. Pending a positive outcome and a new area that will be suitable, the lead time can take 6-9 months to complete the build.

We will keep up updated in this post.

Update: 21 February 2023

Our engineers are waiting for a decision for the amended designs and lease appeal which we have submitted to the Secretary of State. However, due to the 6 week building work, should we be successful in our appeal we would be unable to complete the work required before the cricket season starts in April. Pending a positive outcome from the appeal, we will start building the equipment after the cricket season concludes in September.

Our engineers have started looking for a new location for a replacement mast in case the decision is not overturned from the appeal, and we will be forced to abandon the build. Once an area has been located, we can complete surveys to make sure the area is suitable for the equipment. Pending a positive outcome and a new area would be suitable, the lead time can take 6-9 months to complete the build.

We will keep up updated in this post.

Update: 25 January 2023

We submitted the amended designs and lease to the Secretary of State for approval, but these have been refused on the grounds that the area in which the equipment would be located is used by a local school as a playing field. We have appealed this decision and are awaiting a response.  

If the decision is not overturned, we will be forced to abandon the build and seek a new site location with an approximate lead time of 12-18 months. Should we be successful in our appeal, our 6 week building work will need to be completed by the beginning of the cricket season in April, as the pitch will be in constant use from this point onwards. If this cannot be achieved then building work will commence when the season concludes in September.

Update: 20 December 2022

We have experienced a delay accessing the site, in order to build the structure required for the equipment. Because of the location of the site, we have been requested to amend the designs by the Secretary of State office. We are currently in negotiations for the changes requested, and we expect to have a decision from the Secretary of State office by the end of January. Pending a positive outcome, we expect to start building the equipment needed by the end of February and confirm an approximate on-air date for the new mast.

Update: 07 November 2022

Our engineers have been working with the site provider to arrange a date to access the area and start building the structure required for the equipment to be built. The structural work is expected to start by the end of November. Once this step is completed, we can start building the equipment needed and integrating the mast onto the network. Barring any unforeseen delays, we expect all work to be completed and the mast to be on-air by the beginning of next year.

Update: 14 September 2022

Our engineers are working with the site provider to arrange access to the area and start building the equipment during October. Once the equipment has been built, we can start integrating the mast onto the network. Barring any unforeseen delays, we expect the mast to be on-air at the beginning of next year.

We are in the process of relocating a mast in the Westgate-on-Sea area as the current lease has expired. A replacement site location has been found where all surveys have been completed and planning agreed.

At the moment, we are waiting for power to be supplied and are planning to start to build the new site in October. We’re hoping to have the work completed at the beginning of next year. 

We'll update this post once we have more information.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience. In the meantime, you might be able to use WiFi Calling to make and receive calls and texts.

39 REPLIES 39
wellsyboy
Investigator
Investigator

I’m with EE and have been suffering with signal problems in this area.

i had heard that the new mast was going to be complete by September. What’s the delay?

Also, what do you mean when you say the lease has expired, lease with whom?

Thanks

James_B

Hi @wellsyboy,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

The lease refers to the site where our mast was located.

Please keep an eye on this post as we'll continue to update it as the new mast build progresses.

James

Thanks James.

I wasn’t aware of that. Is that how it works then, you have leases with the people who own the land? Could you not have just extended the lease and kept it were it was? Sounds simpler to me 🧐

James_B

That's right @wellsyboy,

Sorry, I don't have any further information on the details of the expired lease.

James

NoFobbOffs
Investigator
Investigator

Just wondering why people (including myself ) should still have to pay the same fee's for either a crappy standard of internet or none while you take your time to relocate your mast ,how do you justify that exactly , should'nt we have been informed that this was happening atleast you must have known the lease was due to expire or did you just think people would not notice their internet droping 

@wellsyboy wrote:

I wasn’t aware of that. Is that how it works then, you have leases with the people who own the land?

EE's network sites are effectively tenants on rented land, hence leases and landlord consents being one of the dependencies on new & replacement network sites.

Every site is different in terms of landlord agreements.

iNathan
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate the forum post, but this should have been completed by April 2022, at least that's what I was told in August 2021 following a complaint. Exactly one year later we're essentially nowhere near closer to getting this resolved. Based off the response then, I have no faith this will be resolved by the "beginning of next year".

Part of my complaint was EE's poor communication, why has it taken until now for this post, and why have local users still not been informed.

"While I've closed your current complaint case on the basis of the above, we'll be happy to discuss matters with you again once April 2022 comes around." 🙄

Becks2511
Visitor

I work in postcode CT7 0HL and have usually good signal in my office but for the last 4 days I have no signal inside at all. Is this something to do with this?

Christopher_G

Hi @Becks2511

I've checked the postcode and it looks like you are affected by the problem detailed on this post.

We'll post any updates here as we get them.

Chris