5G woes

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi
I have an S21 Ultra 5G but I never get anything like 5G speeds. I just did a speed test and after the page finally loaded my speed was 240Kbps..

So what do I need to get 5G speeds?
My contract is 5G..

Thanks

T

52 REPLIES 52
Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @Katie_B 

Thanks for replying..

I've only just moved to this area, so I'm not sure if anyone is with EE..

Tracy

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming @Dragon_

Are you able to test your SIM in another device?

Katie

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ohh.. never though of that.. I'll try and lend onee..

I'll let you know how I get on..

Tracy

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Perfect @Dragon_

Speak soon, 

Katie

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I'm still looking for a phone I can lend.. but in the meantime I've been looking into speeds, I don't even get 2G coverage.. Certainly don't get 3G, won't get 4G and 5G is just laughable.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If you don't get 2G, then it's likely you're in an "extended range" location where 4G is provided by Band20 800Mhz & 5G is N28 700Mhz

Speeds are inherently limited on these bands.

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @bristolian 

I've no idea what that extended range is,.. Is it any use to me?

I've managed to try another phone with my sim card and its just the same, if not worse..

Tracy

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Many people think that the technology (i.e. 2G, 3G, 4G or 5G) dictates the coverage available, where this is mainly driven by the specific radio frequencies in use. 2G & 3G both operate on the high-bands (1800 & 2100Mhz) which have similar coverage characteristics.

When 4G was first-launched, it used spectrum re-farmed from 2G so had a similar coverage pattern. EE operate additional 4G & 5G services on low-bands 800 & 700Mhz respectively, where coverage extends beyond that of the higher-bands and thus 2G/3G would not have been available.

The flip-side is that there is limited capacity on these bands, and thus data speeds are more limited. From your descriptions, I suspect you are on the edge of coverage and very likely served by either 4G800 and/or 5G700. Current network design allow requires an underlying 4G layer to be available anywhere that 5G is - so in your case 4G800 is potentially your primary server.

Dragon_
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi again @bristolian I appreciate you explaining it for me.

So it sounds to me like this is as good as it's going to get. 🙄

Tracy

Profile closed
Not applicable

> Networks tend to improve in the Autumn as the trees shed their leaves and radio signals propagate better.

> Switching to 4G only (turn on power saving mode?) in cities and certain situations can improve data speeds- phones tend to sniff out the perceived best capacity band, eg 5G, but often 5G isn't provisioned on every local mast. This means a 5G mast can become overloaded and offer poor speeds; whereas 4G is provisioned on every mast and may offer a faster more stable data connection. This is the case for me in London often. 

Until 5G (in its many guises...) is more widely provisioned everywhere you might find staying on 4G mode a better experience. Eg I have EE 4G and 5G routers, the 4G is always faster and more stable - I believe for the reasons explained.

If you are on the fringes of coverage indoors you'll always find it a bit bumpy until a better signal can be provided, but that's not always economic, especially in rural places.

Low band 5G 700 may help you long term- being slowly rolled out, as mentiomed- it has more capacity (needed for better data speeds) than the longer range, low band 4G.