5G roaming

alastairhouston
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a 5G roaming package full works and unlimited data and the most expensive and powerful 5G enabled phone for the specific purpose and was reliably informed by the sales person this was what I would get. 

Sad to be realising that my purchase was not necessary as EE don't support 5G while roaming but I was told the opposite, do I get a refund. (of course I don't I should have read somewhere in a technical forum and should not have trusted the sales person.)

33 REPLIES 33

@alastairhouston  I’m telling you there is no 5G roaming add on.    What you “might” of got told isn’t related to what I’m telling you.    

The sales person sold you a 5G contract you can not purchase a 5G roaming contract there is no such thing.   Roaming is an option that you can add/enable on your account at no cost.   The ability to use that option might incur charges to use your allowance while abroad.     What agreements EE have with roaming networks will not be known to sales store staff as they are only there to sell.     Again what you “might” of been told doesn’t mean you’ll can get it.  

The word “might” is being used is this way because this is only your side of what was said at the point of sale.   You actually have no proof of this, this isn’t me siding with EE this is me basically saying prove what your claiming you was told.   

Ime afraid you will just have to accept my story and move on.
TheDarkic
Investigator
Investigator

I am right now in Spain (Malaga). I can use all networks except Vodafone which is not selectable. Only Orange offer 5G roaming which has come as a surprise!

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor
Good morning from Dublin!

Can confirm I’ve got full 5G roaming with EE using the eir network.
chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

5G roaming seems to be appearing a bit more now. Saw it in Helsinki and Stockholm last week. Now if only these speeds in Stockholm were available when I'm at home! 

FRBesXfXsAEFeeC.jpg

ricardochoa
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello from Prague… 5G using O2 CZ

can select Vodafone CZbut only 4G

Deletedwood26
Investigator
Investigator

In my experience with a 5G phone and a 5G enabled SIM I find that when I am roaming I get a better signal than other family members with 4g phones.It looks like 4G+ 

When roaming my family members 4g phones, and my 5G phone has no problems. Some family members 4G phones have had problems connecting roaming and I have had to create on 4gphone new APNs with only the IPV4 settings 

On my return home, using just IPV4 settings on my 5G phone, for home and roaming as opposed to IPV4/IPV6 (home) and IPV4( for roaming)  I noticed very few 5G connections ., Compared to previous travel with the default APN which had had IPV4/IPV6 for home and IPV4 for roaming.   

However there were major roadworks in the central reservation of the motorway. That would suggest to me that the 5G network on the way home was not nessarily due to my APN changes but to a disruption of the 5G network due to interruption  of fiber cables/5G nodes on the motorway infrastructure in conduits in the concrete crash barriers on the motorway.

But I can say a 5G phone with a 5G enabled SIM gets better roaming coverage than a 4G phone, in my experience.

Username5025
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

All calls are recorded so I’m sure the original poster can clear it up that way if he wants a refund. 

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

EE are really smashing it out of the park now when it comes to 5G roaming. Really surprised they aren't advertising the fact and shouting from the rooftops but I'm sure they will at some point. 

I went as part of a large family group to the States a few weeks ago and as part of the preparation for the trip, I helped move the people who weren't already with EE across before the trip as the £10 Roam Further bolt on couldn't be beaten in my eyes (the rival network were wanting to charge £6 per day).

Now since I joined EE, I have enjoyed 5G roaming in Spain, Ireland and Greece so I was curious as to what the experience would be like in the States. 

I can answer that question, we all got full 5G roaming on AT&T for the duration as well as voice over both 4G and 5G (voLTE). This was essential as the 3G networks in the States are being closed down.

Really can't beat them at the moment. Although I wouldn't complain if you wanted to go ahead and add some additional countries to the Roam Further package. I'm thinking South Africa 😀

IMG_1453.jpeg

TimsterPT
Visitor

Apols  this is 7 months down the line but an update for you. I’ve been in Crete and have had 5G pretty much everywhere. Using £10 add on roam allowance and my IPhone 13. So it looks like there is expanding  support for 5G.