5G roaming

alastairhouston
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a 5G roaming package full works and unlimited data and the most expensive and powerful 5G enabled phone for the specific purpose and was reliably informed by the sales person this was what I would get. 

Sad to be realising that my purchase was not necessary as EE don't support 5G while roaming but I was told the opposite, do I get a refund. (of course I don't I should have read somewhere in a technical forum and should not have trusted the sales person.)

33 REPLIES 33
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @alastairhouston 

5G services are still in relative infancy, and this extends to international roaming.

All online or distance-selling purchases are covered by a statutory "change of mind" right of return which may apply in your case - depending what you have purchased, and how.

This won't apply to retail in-store sales.

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hey @alastairhouston

Out of interest, which countries were you looking to use 5G roaming in?

Thanks for interest
Ime here in Germany, my sister came over and she has O2 contract and connected at 5g on O2 network here, when I tried to connect to 02 network here I get 4G both at the same spot. Obviously EE has an agreement to share the 02 network here but not up to 5g only 4g ime thinking, not an expert but just a little disappointed that I have all the latest gadgets and promise that I would be 5g roaming no problem.
Cheers
_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hey again @alastairhouston -  It's a bit of a weird one at the moment. 

So if you check operator websites, the only (UK) carrier advertising 5G roaming is Vodafone (they offer it on partner Vodafone websites in 4 or 5 EU countries).

The rest of the networks 'officially' don't have 5G roaming yet but it's clear they're in the process of ramping it up. 

To your point, if you check the O2 website, they tell you 5G roaming isn't available yet your sister got 5G roaming in Germany. 

If you google EE 5G roaming, you'll find post on other websites where people have confirmed they've been able to get 5G roaming in South Africa and France. 

But officially EE don't offer 5G roaming. 

The point of my post is, whilst it's annoying that you've been misinformed. You just have to have a little patience as it's clear there's work going on in the background leading up to this. 

I meant, when you cast your mind back to 4G, it didn't take that long for 4G roaming to be the norm.

@alastairhouston     How do you purchase a 5G roaming package when there is no such thing.      What you purchased was for UK usage what you signal you get abroad will depend on what agreement EE have with that roaming network.   

I’ve just Google this and found. 

“However, 5G is not available while you’re roaming, so you'll be connected to a 4G, 3G or 2G network and we can’t guarantee what speed you’ll get while abroad” 

Sorry, that is not what the EE salesperson selling me this package told me!

I can buy a 5g enabled roaming package that would work abroad when the salesperson offered me exactly that!

You are wrong there is such a thing and I did buy it! More the fool me.

@alastairhouston   Really !    
Once more roaming is roaming and there is no 5G add on or package that you can purchase that will give you 5G.  You purchase an add that allows you to use your allowance while abroad,  that’s the only add on you can get.  It doesn’t state you’ll get 5G it just enables you to use your allowance while abroad.    Oh and 5G usage isn’t an allowance. 

out of interest would you care to tell me how much this mythical 5G add-on cost you.  

Thanks for that Mr R
Agree with your view its probably good to just be patient and be in the knowledge there rolling it out and will become available in due course.
Good observations and thanks.
Regards
Alastair
You are not reading what I said! I said that the salesperson sold me 5g roaming. Nothing you say will change that reality so ime sorry but in this case you are wrong.