cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Signal near New Cross Station London is horrible

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recently just switch to EE's unlimited 5G mobile phone plan, because I have heard good things from multiple sources, and I don't want to use my shared house's slow wifi while it's being used by many tenants at the same time. One of your staff guaranteed the plan I currently use should be more than enought for me need. I am a software engineer and a somewhat heavy gamer. I live somewhere close to New Cross Overground Station, and after a few days of constant speedtesting, swapping SIM across mobile phones, the result is outrageously unacceptable for the price £38 I'm paying. At times the download speed drops below 3Mbps, but getting relatively high upload speed for some strange reason.

The following results are grabbed from multiple 5G phones, including iPhone 13 Pro, Pixel 5, & Pixel 6 Pro. So it is pretty sure it's not a single device's issue. On iPhone I have set the celluar network to be '5G On' and 'Allow More Data On 5G', and on both Pixel phones I have already turned off Adaptive Charging & Adaptive Connectivity.

I have good speed sometimes exceeding 600Mbps while I commute back to my office, but that doesn't benefit me at all because I need it while I'm at home. And even with good reception (3 bars to full bars) and within <50ms delay, the download speed is still abyssmal. Is there an issue with the nearest tower in the area? I was on giffgaff before switching, delay was worse but it could sometime get over 80Mbps download for me. But now I can barely watch 1080p video on YouTube without frequent buffering. I really want to stay with EE, because the delay is minimal and I can maintain good connection while I'm gaming. But the speed is really putting me off. 
1.jpg2.png3.jpgIMG_5096.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @James_B ,

Unfortunately I am not. Every time after logging in it will always redirect me to this error page since someone in this thread brought this page up to me on Friday or Saturday, no VPN, it happens on my Macbook and phones.

4elvin_1-1710785860624.png

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @4elvin,

I haven't been able to replicate that issue. 

Please could you try clearing your cookies and cache and let us know if that resolves the issue?

Thanks

James

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried again on my PC at home. Same. Is it something to do with my account?

Screenshot 2024-03-18 190304.png

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is the decoded response I received when I tried to access the report page again. I hope this error message may help you and perhaps your team as well to figure out why I cannot access those pages.

4elvin_0-1710796038028.png

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good afternoon @Christopher_G , any update on the issue?

Christopher_G

Hi @4elvin 

Welcome to the community.

I suggest speaking to our technical support team so they can raise this as a ticket against your account and keep you updated.

Chris

Hi @Christopher_G,

My suspicions when I saw the error message above is correct, it seems my account for some reason was set up as a business account. When I call 150 it redirects me to EE Business Help. Is there anything else you guys can do to help? Or what should I do now?

Katie_B

Hi @4elvin

If your account has been incorrectly set up as a business account and you wish for this to be a personal account please give us a call. 

Katie

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just contacted technical support yesterday and they're sending me a new SIM card. Will update later. Thanks.

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Christopher_G @Katie_B 

I have just received my new SIM card. It has made some very minor improvement, but the speed is still below my expectation of a £38 per month 5G unlimited plan at outdoor. Pretty sure it's running in 4G speed but shown as 5G on my phone:

Outdoor speed test at New CrossOutdoor speed test at New Cross

While I was waiting for the new SIM card, I also bought two SIMs from Smarty and Voxi and enrolled in the cheapest possible plans they provided, just to see others' performance on 5G, the clearly there's a major difference, all done in the same location as the EE test:

Smarty (Three):

4elvin_1-1711057110165.png

Voxi (Vodaphone):

4elvin_2-1711057516142.jpeg

It's still giving me error at https://ee.co.uk/help/service-status:

4elvin_3-1711057963802.png

Now, I know my account is somehow setup as a small business account therefore I cannot report issue on the website for some reason. Could anyone here just report the issue for me please? Just simply internally report that 5G is barely working in New Cross. SE14 6LD is the post code. I think I have jumped through enough hoops in one week for an issue that I cannot control.