cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Signal near New Cross Station London is horrible

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recently just switch to EE's unlimited 5G mobile phone plan, because I have heard good things from multiple sources, and I don't want to use my shared house's slow wifi while it's being used by many tenants at the same time. One of your staff guaranteed the plan I currently use should be more than enought for me need. I am a software engineer and a somewhat heavy gamer. I live somewhere close to New Cross Overground Station, and after a few days of constant speedtesting, swapping SIM across mobile phones, the result is outrageously unacceptable for the price £38 I'm paying. At times the download speed drops below 3Mbps, but getting relatively high upload speed for some strange reason.

The following results are grabbed from multiple 5G phones, including iPhone 13 Pro, Pixel 5, & Pixel 6 Pro. So it is pretty sure it's not a single device's issue. On iPhone I have set the celluar network to be '5G On' and 'Allow More Data On 5G', and on both Pixel phones I have already turned off Adaptive Charging & Adaptive Connectivity.

I have good speed sometimes exceeding 600Mbps while I commute back to my office, but that doesn't benefit me at all because I need it while I'm at home. And even with good reception (3 bars to full bars) and within <50ms delay, the download speed is still abyssmal. Is there an issue with the nearest tower in the area? I was on giffgaff before switching, delay was worse but it could sometime get over 80Mbps download for me. But now I can barely watch 1080p video on YouTube without frequent buffering. I really want to stay with EE, because the delay is minimal and I can maintain good connection while I'm gaming. But the speed is really putting me off. 
1.jpg2.png3.jpgIMG_5096.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good afternoon @4elvin

Thanks for providing screen shots of your recent speed tests. 

Please could you search your home post code using the Service Status Checker and let me know if it reports any known issues or weak indoor coverage. 

Speak soon, 

Katie

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Are similar speeds encountered when using 4G? The strength of received signal is not the primary driver of download speeds, available spectrum is.

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It seems the status checker is not available at the moment?

2024-03-16 at 16.25.31@2x.png

@bristolian Yes I'm getting similar speed if set the phone to 4G only as well.

bristolian
Legend
Legend
4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here's the result from https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee

@Katie_B Also I tried to make sure this is not an indoor only issue, I did another two SpeedTest outdoor with iPhone 13 Pro and Pixel 5, both caseless, and this time the download/upload speed differences are getting even ridiculous.

2024-03-16 at 17.31.26@2x.png2024-03-16 at 17.32.18@2x.png

SpeedTest results outdoor, iPhone 13 Pro & Pixel 5, both in 5G connection.image.jpegIMG_5098.jpg

bristolian
Legend
Legend

It would be interesting to see which carriers your phones are connecting to, using a suitable app. iPhones are not great for that, Android easier.

Plenty of dual-carrier B3/B7 deployment in the vicinity, but I suspect your NR is coming from approx 0.6km away and thus would be a good test to see which layer you are connected to.

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is a good direction. I downloaded an app from Google Play called 'Opensignal, and this is the tower I'm connected to. And it's not even 100m from where I live. Yet the internet speed is still that poor.

tower.jpeg

bristolian
Legend
Legend

OpenSignal is not one of the apps I would have recommended - it has some dubious mapping & there are other apps that give radio info more reliably, however...

I can't locate any eNB in the immediate vicinity of the station that has a matching cell-ID so I would suspect that's an NR cell. NetMonitor Lite (for radio stack info) or Cellmapper would be a reliable choice.

4elvin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1.png2.png