cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Data Speeds Slowed

boro87
Investigator
Investigator

I’m having a real issue with slow speeds that started approx a month ago. 

I have tested 1 EE sim in an iphone, a seperate EE sim in a 4g router and an 02 sim in a Samsung phone in my house and directly outside.

I have tested 1 EE sim in an iphone and 1 O2 sim a Samsung phone within a 200 metre reduis to my house.

I have tested 1 EE sim in an iphone and 1 O2 sim in Samsung phone 10 miles away and in another city.

In my house and within a 200 metre radis all have shown the same slow data of 4-6mb/s. Outside of this all show significantly higher speeds 30-50mb/s.

I can pinpoint exactly where the speed drops as I have walked it out and tested multiple speeds.

From Feb-August I was getting 50-100mb/s speed inside my house and outisde my house. I have changed nothing.

An issue occurent with mast 19630 at the end of August. It was acknowledged by EE and I recieved a test saying is had been fixed. At that point my speed went back up to 50-100mb/s. This week the speeds have dropped again and have resulted in the speeds tested above.

EE tech support say they do no know what the issues is and can’t offer any more help. It seems clear that there is still an issue with the mast, ask shown by the above tests. 

13 REPLIES 13
bristolian
Legend
Legend

I admire your persistence in this!

The most logical cause of step changes in data speeds would be an additional carrier becoming usable, which when travelling would usually be an additional serving site with extra carriers.

The site you've mentioned has a single B3 carrier, if there's a significant increase in usage then a drop in speeds wouldn't be unrealistic - although that should normally cause a gradual drop-off rather than the step-change you've identified.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @boro87,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you reported the issue with the Network Status Checker?

James

I have indeed and I have spoken to EE on 150. The network checker say no issue and when I report it it comes back 48 hours later saying there is no issue. 150 said they can see the slow speeds but don't know what it is because the tower is showing as working

It seems a big coincidence that the issue occurred first, and was acknowledge as an issue. Was fixed and speeds went back up. But that this time they say it cannot be the same issue despite it being the same problem.

Would that really reduce speeds from an average of 70mb/s to 4mb/s though? In the space of a few days?

Christopher_G

There could be a few reasons why that's happening, @boro87 

If it doesn't improve soon, I'd recommend speaking to the technical support team again so they can look into it further for you.
Chris

Hi Chris.

Without sounding fed up 😂, what I don't want to have to keep doing is spending hours on the phone, it’s become quite draining. I have had to argue my case, when EE can see that I have poor speeds.

I’m happy to provide whatever data is needed to help. What would be great is if a local engineer could test the signal manually instead of reading on a computer screen that the signal is fine.

I tried it again on both phones, EE and O2, approx 300 metres down the road and the issue continues. 

James_B

Hi @boro87,

Have there been any changes to the landscape in your locality? Such as building works or overgrown trees?

It's unusual for two unconnected networks to be affected in the same way, at the same time, so I wonder if it could be something blocking or interfering with your signal.

James

I can’t see that anything has changed. Its a fairly standard residential area.

No new developments as far as I can see. There are ongoing roadworks on an A road, but these have been going on for a few months. 

Also the issue occurs over a large radius, so not confined to just around my house. I imagine most have broadband in the area, but my house on copper cables. It’s likely one of two properties in the area still without broadband.