Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to VPN (Global Protect) via mobile hotspot - it used to work

Joeclegg
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I need to connect to a VPN (Global Protect) on my laptop to connect to my work documents. A few months ago, I used to be able to use mobile hotspot on my phone and it would work fine. However, the VPN no longer connects - the internet continues to works fine on the laptop when connected to my mobile.

I understand EE have never supported VPN connections but they are now apparently actively blocking more. This is unacceptable and unfair. If I am unable to resolve the issue, I will need to change mobile networks.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
Joeclegg
Investigator
Investigator

Just to add, EE technical support were unable to assist and they just confirmed that EE are blocking VPNs.

I tried connecting my laptop to an old phone using a different network (Virgin), the VPN connects fine. The VPN also connects to my current phone if it is using my wifi, rather than EE mobile data. This confirms it is to do with EE mobile data and Global Protect being blocked.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi and welcome to the community, @Joeclegg 

Sorry for the confusion. We don't block VPN services, but we don't support them either. Have you spoken to your employer's helpdesk to see if anyone else has had a similar problem? They may be aware of a fix.

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Your tech support said that you do block VPNs and that EE are starting to crack down more - it used to work but no longer does. This conflicts with what you have just said.

I have tried my sim card in a different phone and the issue still occurs. I tried a different sim card in my main phone and it works. Other people at the company also have issues with EE. This confirms the issue is solely on the side of EE.

The fact that it used to work with my phone shows that EE have made changes to no longer allow it. Why is this?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi All,

After lots of research, the issue is that you need to force EE to use an IPv4 only config (rather than IPv6). Doing so will likely resolve your issue with VPN connections.

EE = You should be ashamed that you're denying any responsibility and not providing any assistance.

Follow the instructions found here:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Data/EE-APN-Settings-Where-to-find-them/m-p/1164908/highlight/t...

wisematthew
Visitor

Incredibly irritating isn't it. 

Connecitng to VPN via just stops working and EE customer support say it's nothing to do with EE. 

Of course it is. 

You have to switch networks.  

edoardoc
Investigator
Investigator

I am having the same issue. EE useless so far.

Interestingly last week I was roaming in the EU and my iPhone on the EE SIM provided both ipv4 and  ipv6 
The same happens if (in the UK) I stick my EE SIM in an old iphone - both ipv4 and  ipv6 .

It's related to IPv4 and IPv6 and in my case OpenVPN. Older mobiles and laptops (and other networks) result in an IPv4 address, (with a working v4 DHCP server) but newer versions of MacOS only work with with IPv6 which OpenVPN won't work with. 

You can switch off IPv6 in Macos and manually set the IPv4 addresses, but then it breaks wifi.

Either Apple or EE need to fix it or work out how some apps like OpenVPN can be reconfigured to use IPv6 - mine just says "network interface unavailable". 

Hi, @stephendale1234 in this case Apple has nothing to do. The problem is with EE.

As I said, the same devices (iPhone and mac) with the EE SIM on roaming, worked fine last week. I got both IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity on the roaming network.

Back in the UK on EE, no IPV4.

I of course had tried turning IPV6 off on the mac - that breaks all connectivity not just VPNs.

On another thread, the EE community suggested that I get EE to open a ticket. 
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Broadband/IPV4-fallback-doesn-t-work/m-p/1360121/highlight/true...
I had already wasted an hour on 150 today, not sure how I can get them to do so. 

edoardoc
Investigator
Investigator

Hi @stephendale1234 

I may have been wrong at pointing my finger to EE and discharging Apple which (let me self-defence) had been my first battle aim.  I noticed the loss of IPV4 after upgrading iOS from 17.2 to 17.2.1 , then17.3 and 17.3.1 kept the new unwelcome behaviour

The fact that an older iPhone with my EE SIM gets both IPV4 and IPV6 suggests that the problem is with the phone OS.

I had opened a 'discussion' with Apple after having tries all avenues to talk to them, but I feel I am unable to get them to listen 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255466044