cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would external antenna increase upload speed on 4G router?

Tony219
Investigator
Investigator

I’ve recently moved to a rural location and signed up for a 4G router. I’m getting download speeds of around 30mbs which is tolerable but upload speeds of 3 to 4 mbs which is dismal.

Is this a reception issue or just a limitation of the system? 

If it’s reception would speeds be improved by an roof mounted external antenna? What type are most effective? Omni or directional? Does signal boosting make a difference? Is mimo important? The router has two antenna connections, are there versions with 4 and would that help? What brands are recommended? Is the EE antenna any good?

I’m new to all this and any advice would be a great help. Many thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnnySegway
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Tony,  upload is always about 5Mbps, download is always about 60 to 70 Mbps. Yes the aerial did improve it lots - you can buy from Amazon, as well as the bracket.

How did I know was best? There is a website with all the masts mapped so I had a good idea where they where (there's only 2 to choose from that are remotely near!) I also Google mapped them to check them out. Its best if there are no trees, houses etc in the way and point the aerial directly at it - how many bars have you on your router? All?

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Tony219 

Thanks for coming here 🙂

I would suggest, getting in touch with our Technical Support team, so a member of the team can take a detailed look at the download speeds to see what option is going to best for you. 

Leanne

Ok thanks I will. How do I get in touch with them?

Sent from my iPhone
Leanne_T

Hi @Tony219 

You can call us on 150 from an EE phone, or 07953 966 150 from any other phone. 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne,

I've got nowhere with this. Is that because it's a Sunday?

Tony

Leanne_T

The team are available until 8pm on a Sunday @Tony219 

Leanne 🙂

No it just goes to a message that then disconnects and sends me a text saying they will run tests to see if there's a fault in my area. nothing to do with my enquiry.

Is there a direct number?

Leanne_T

I see @Tony219 

You can call 07953 966 150 and select option 1, option 2 and then technical support. 

Leanne. 

that's what I did last time. Recorded message. Text follow up