cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile SIM card with EE Wi-fi device?

mikeytt
Explorer

I had a chat with an EE customer service rep who told me that a normal mobile data SIM which includes voice minutes and texts can also be used for data with an EE Mobile Wi-Fi unit like the EE Osprey and others. Is this true?

I don't want to buy a mobile SIM card and then find I am restricted from using it on a Wi-Fi device because I didn't buy a Data only SIM card?

I need to buy the right card as I may have more than one device connected to the EE wi-fi router at any one time. The only SIM cards available to order on the EE site today were normal mobile SIM cards.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The "EE Rep" as you call it is correct, EE do not discriminate as to which type of Sim Cards are used in to which type of Devices. so for example you could put a Data Only Sim Card into a Phone and use the Data for Internet, and likewise you could put Phone Sim Card with Mins, Text and Data bundle into a MiFi Device ( or what I prefer is to call it an Mobile Router) and use the Data Allowance for Internet access.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, @mikeytt, you may use any SIM in any device. Indeed with a phone SIM you can get "unlimited" data which you can't with a data SIM. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The "EE Rep" as you call it is correct, EE do not discriminate as to which type of Sim Cards are used in to which type of Devices. so for example you could put a Data Only Sim Card into a Phone and use the Data for Internet, and likewise you could put Phone Sim Card with Mins, Text and Data bundle into a MiFi Device ( or what I prefer is to call it an Mobile Router) and use the Data Allowance for Internet access.

Thanks for the clear answers, guys. Now to go SIM shopping to find the best deal.

Biancac
Visitor

Hello I need share box with SIM card 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Biancac,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Please see EE Mobile Broadband | EE 4G & 5G Wifi | EE.

Hope this helps.

James