Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about 4g/5g broadband

littlepace1
Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

I've got some questions about my 4G setup and then a few about a potential 5G switch. I've split them up below.

4G

I've had an external 4g antenna into a 4g broadband router for several years now. Was Vodafone but switched to EE earlier this year. When i first made the switch I was getting great speeds and ping. Then as you'll see by my post history the speeds quickly plummeted. Overall i've had decent speeds so I haven't really pushed the issue. However last couple weeks my speeds have been pretty rubbish again so I decided to take another look into it. I took the SIM out of the router and put it in my old s21 phone and went outside to do a speedtest. First one came back at 94Mbps down. In the router I got 17Mbps. 

According to my router I'm getting 100% signal. I've tried using a different router and changing settings/rebooting. 

How is it possible the setup with an antenna designed to boost the signal is getting beat 6x over by a phone?

5G

(I thought it best not to split these into seperate posts)

I've recently rechecked the EE coverage and it now says I have good indoor 5G service and GREAT outdoor 5g service. Similar to above i put the SIM into my old phone and turned on 5g in the settings and i was getting 5g! Indoors 0-1 bars of signal. Outdoors 1-3 bars. I did a speedtest outdoors and surpassed 100Mbps! My questions are:

Will my current antenna be a dud if i connected it to a 5g router/sim? (It was bought several years ago with no 5g advertised)

Is a weaker 5G signal going to cause more instability than my 4G signal?

My current 4G sim is technically a data only mobile SIM (with 5g enabled) what are my options going from this to a 5G router setup? Would i be able to swap this plan to a 5G broadband package?

Thanks for any help!

And Merry Christmas!

1 REPLY 1
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @littlepace1 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

To discuss your options and get the signal looked into, please get in touch with our tech guides and they will see what id available for you. 

Leanne.