cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart 5g hub (mobile) port forwarding options ? Do they work?

Royalwithcheese
Investigator
Investigator

Trying to access a rasberry pi directly from external address via http://blalh.bla.org for example  to an ip on my local network (pi)  like a websever from home etc or a plex or minecraft etc using  a dynamic dns too and it doesn't seem to work as planned? anyone else got it working I don't believe this cgnat thing is a thing cos why would it have ports forwarding...if you can't forward external to internal.. 

4 REPLIES 4
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Royalwithcheese,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I can firm that CGNAT is employed on the EE mobile network.

There are a number of Pi users in the community who may be able to offer you some tips on getting what you need from your setup.

James

Look forward to smart 5g mobile hub users who have the pi ..to help us out with tips otherwise I can't vpn to my homes hub!

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I can't see Port Forwarding working on the EE mobile network, even when you employ a DDNS.

You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Royalwithcheese
Investigator
Investigator

looks like ill have to cancel contract , I was sold on the idea if i buy a broadband form a gaming centric super fast network like EE one should get a modem which works with online games with similar or better performance than average broadband fixed lines (btfibre exception ;thats the cream of the crop I've had this before and its fluid port forwards many options in the admin panel etc etc  ) and port forwarding like you get with all  cheap-ass-modems  every company out there selling broadband delivers..
    ...now that I have found out this cgnat/mobile-hub crippling I'm  not sure how EE can possibly expect ppl to beta test and then subsequently  cancel the hub/service and think thats a great way to operate. 

ps. I'm not buying 100/200 a year port forwarding subscription with a vpn company just to get around a crippled  system  setup on top of a 50 £ amount for a service+hub that is unreliable at best ( right now the internal house wifi  5g sitting in same room next to me, is not connection in wifi 5g lol only 2,4g? amazing! its so random)  new firmware needed perhaps ..either way I doubt ill be here to enjoy that download..? 
I was so looking forward to having this work as described but sadly its not fit for purpose 

.I just hate that in 2024 ive been playing with tech support for over a month and still not able to really trust this and now losing work( im WFH and need solid internet jitter/latency low numbers not just high downloads/uploads) good luck those who stay on this mobile 5g smart hub at the mo it looks very unfit to sell as a modem product and the CISAS will be notified .