cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW 5GEE router - My PS5 is restricted to NAT 3 NOT NAT 2

ChrisH1968
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, i have just received my new 5GEE router, which is real nice and fast. However, whilst playing my PS5, i noticed when i carry out the internet connection, my NAT TYPE is 3, NOT 2. NAT 3 restricts your game play experience completely. Can anyone help? How do you change it? 

Many thanks,

A frustrated gamer! 

18 REPLIES 18
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

EE mobile routers are not really suitable for gaming.

You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, Thanks for replying!

So basically, even going into my routers setting will not change a thing, so its impossible to get NAT 2 correct? I am wasting my time really. 

That's right!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
  1. Download and install the VPN software on your Windows PC.

2. Connect your PS4 to your PC with the ethernet cable.

3. Open the Control Panel in Windows and navigate to the Network and Sharing Center.

4. Click on Change Adaptor Settings in the left sidebar.

5. Right-click on your VPN connection (the one installed on your PC), click Properties > Sharing.

6. Tick the box that says: Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.

7. Locate the Home networking connection drop-down menu and select your ethernet connection.

8. Connect to the VPN server you require by using the VPN client on your PC.

9. Boot up your PS4.

On the main menu screen click on Settings > Network Settings.

10. Under Network Settings select Set up Internet Connection.

Select Use a LAN Cable when you are prompted.

11. Select Easy for the connection method and confirm Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.

12. Accept these settings and click Test Connection to ensure it works correctly.

ChrisH1968
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Dean,

Wow! I just hope it works! Many many thanks for your help and taking the time, very much appreciated indeed. I may need to ask my IT work buddy as i am not that much of an expert in this field, mainly VPN stuff. However, I'll obviously give it a shot buddy! 

Cheers again! You may have just saved me a call to the EE  technical depot to express my frustrations with this annoying matter.

Hi Dean,

Hope you can help - I also have the NAT 3 connection issue using my PS5 through my 5GEE hub.

I'd like to connect via Remote Play on my iPad. Could you advise me how to do this through a VPN?

Thank you,

Sophie

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It works to get Nat type 2 at least and if you read it and follow it’s quite easy I am not that technically gifted myself 👍🏼

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi 

This is just a guess as I am not to sure about remote-play on iPad but if your running your vpn on your I pad am guessing that its sort of similar to plugging into your pc so as long as you have the vpn active on the device it should cover the apps you use maybe 

otherwise follow the instructions on the list I previously posted and as long as your running your PlayStation through your pc on the vpn via Ethernet it should cover remote play from the PlayStation to your device 

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Or alternatively a more expensive option guys is to buy a 4g router/modem and put your sim in that and run the vpn client through that I have been looking at the decox20 4g + as it is a modem and router and you can run a vpn client on it 

hope this all helps