Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Router Unusable

kjharve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

My 5GEE Router is frequently dropping connections (sometimes 4 or 5 times an hour) and often suffers from really slow speeds. It worked pretty well for about the first year. Then some work was carried out in the area in about mid-April and since then we've had nothing but problems. And they're getting worse.

I've tried forcing the router to only use 4G but that hasn't solved the problem. Shutting down the router does temporarily fix the issue but connection can drop again 10 minutes later. It's really frustrating.

During the times the connection drops or is unstable, my mobile doesn't suffer any of the same problems.

Can anyone suggest anything? I think I've tried all the options suggested on other posts, so I'm starting to run out of ideas. At £50p/m it's becoming an expensive ornament!

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

They did raise the issue with a network engineer for my complaint but they found no issues. To what extent it was investigated, I don’t know. From there, they just blamed the router and said it would need to be sent off for repair.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Xtopher

Thanks for getting back to me and providing more details. 

Our technical care team do a have a process to follow when completing a diagnostics. 

Are you aware if others in your village have reported this?

Did you make the team aware there was multiple users experiencing this issue?

Speak soon, 

Katie

Jacques7
Visitor

Hi All

I have been having the very same issues with my kit. All the same as above. Tried hunting for the best signal in the house.

the issue is it drops connection randomly and again my phone is fine. This really starting to get annoying and at £50 it is unacceptable for this item not to work as it should.

James_B

Hi @Jacques7,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Our Technical Support Team will be happy to take a look at this if you get in touch.

Thanks

James

Wannabee
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

See "Fix for 5GEE WiFi Hub IPv6 internet issues over ethernet [Solved] " on the EE Community forum. 

This solved the same issue for me completely.

Rgds

Hey James,

Im having the same issue with my router, suddenly my speeds dropped from +-100a(DL)/10(UL) to 10/20(dl)/200kbps(UL).  After more than a week calling EE and trying to explain that the problem is a hardware issue from the router itself, they understand and ask me to drop in a EE store so than can send it to the correct place for a repair. But today someone from the store said that they can't send the device because is too big(what?) and will prob have to pay for external repair that will cost more than 100 pounds.
We are in 2023 why is so difficult to just replace a router? 

Christopher_G

Sorry to hear that, @andresalomao 

I suggest speaking to our Mobile Care team again to let them know this happened. Hopefully there's an alternative they can come up with.

Chris

EE's processes aren't fit for purpose on this issue. The stores says different to customer services and the engineering team have a totally different view.

I eventually decided to send my router away as EE requested, even though I am convinced this is a firmware issue. The repair centre said that the repairs on the device were not supported and sent it straight back.

I purchased a third party router (at significant expense) and this worked with no issue. So it is a device issue but can't imagine it's a fault with a physical part.

Fortunately, fibre broadband is now available in my area so I now have another alternative. I also raised a complaint with EE and escalated it a few times until I got to speak to useful manager. We eventually came to a satisfactory conclusion regarding the remainder of my contract.

Hi, morning guys,

I had the same issue as you @kjharve . After calling a hundred times and sending the device to the  EE Repair centre, and after one week in there.. they were ''unable'' to repair it. so I had to call EE customer service again and explain everything, and all the time reinforcing that I was under warranty and it was EE fault that they didn't know how to handle this situation.

So the only solution available was to cancel my contract for free because it was EE fault. We are in 2023 and to have to send the device for a repair without receiving a replacement is mind-blowing how bad the whole process is.

Also apparently the device(EE 5GEE ROUTER 2021/EE SMART 5G HUB ) is not fabricated anymore, so be careful if you are using this and your warranty/contract is going to end soon.

Good luck and Thanks all!

zedrake
Explorer

Going through an almost identical thing. Same 5G EE router, same support issues, same timeline of "it worked well then some engineering work happened and suddenly it stopped working". Mine has been dropping off around 20 times per day and I'm not in some village somewhere im in the centre of a town centre where the coverage is excellent for indoors and outdoors. I can literally hotspot my iPhone 14 Pro onto 5 devices with no issues yet this device which is costing me £50pm can barely keep itself on.

When will EE address the very obvious customer centric issue. If the device isn't up to scratch then start letting people get refunds and cancel their contracts.