Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Router Unusable

kjharve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

My 5GEE Router is frequently dropping connections (sometimes 4 or 5 times an hour) and often suffers from really slow speeds. It worked pretty well for about the first year. Then some work was carried out in the area in about mid-April and since then we've had nothing but problems. And they're getting worse.

I've tried forcing the router to only use 4G but that hasn't solved the problem. Shutting down the router does temporarily fix the issue but connection can drop again 10 minutes later. It's really frustrating.

During the times the connection drops or is unstable, my mobile doesn't suffer any of the same problems.

Can anyone suggest anything? I think I've tried all the options suggested on other posts, so I'm starting to run out of ideas. At £50p/m it's becoming an expensive ornament!

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Wannabee
Investigator
Investigator

Merry Xmas to everyone.

To all those who are experiencing problems, see the post below on the APN/IPv4/6 issue as this solved it completely for me and is an easy fix. Whilst a different router will likely solve your issue, its probably only doing so because it has different configuration settings which was the real problem for me. So the router gets condemned when in fact it's the setup that's the actual fault. 

See 'Fix for 5GEE WiFi Hub IPv6 internet issues over ethernet [Solved]'

My local mast is 4G only, but I get 130Mb download whereas my copper phone line was 17Mb. Fibre is not an option for me, sadly. A 4G aerial on the wall of my house made very little difference but did stop it from 'flip-flopping' between masts as it looked for a better signal. The nearest 5G mast is over the hill for me so it was massively slower than the 4G at around only 10Mb. 

I'm left with the background as we know. EE are a sales led organisation so the shop staff aren't interested unless there's a sale in it for them, so my experience with my local shop and a suggested (by EE support) router repair was the same as many on here. There's nothing wrong with my router and although a very small percentage may be faulty as with any electronic item, I suspect the fault will lie elsewhere. 

I've still had a couple of issues but its a radio device at the end of the day and not a real substitute unless you have no other option. So its prone to poor signals and bad weather impact on occasion. Also, if there is local engineering work going on with my local 4G mast (in the field behind my house) the support staff are usually unaware, so there are issues with poor internal communication at EE. 

I passed on the configuration 'fix' for the Zxtel router to the support staff by email but got no reply, and it seems they haven't learned from it or circulated it either as they are still suggesting the same pointless checks and alterations to no avail. 

HirokiS
Explorer

Having the same issues with the slow speeds using this router. I don't think the faff of sending the thing away only to have it sent back to me is worth the faff. Will be cancelling come the end of next month when my contract runs out.