cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I won't be renewing my contract

Aaad
Investigator
Investigator

Sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint exactly where you made a decision, or which exact straw broke the camel's back. Maybe if I hadn't had the experience that I've had today, I would have kept the previous one to myself out of a belief that I'd just been unlucky, but there comes a point where consistency throws any notions of luck out of the window.

Last summer, my 6 month old galaxy z fold4 suffered a well known manufacturer's defect (the ribbon cable in the hinge came loose from the socket, meaning the phone turned itself off when folded). I have ee's "full coverage" insurance, and figured that it wouldn't be too much of an issue to get a repair or replacement free of charge as this was not the result of user error; surely, even without insurance of any kind, it would still be well within warranty, right?

The next week of my life rapidly degenerated into a kafkaesque waking nightmare.

Nobody in the call centre seemed to know the first thing about their own company's policies. I was told by one person that I'd have to pay an eye-watering £700 excess, which I argued wasn't fair, and was told that my insurance wouldn't cover manufacturers defects anyway. I was then passed to some other department, where i was promptly passed back to the first department, only to be told (by another member of staff) that it could be done free of charge; unfortunately, this was the point that your systems went down, and I had to start over.

I spent a couple of days going around in circles like this, hearing all kinds of different numbers (£50 flat fee, £200 excess, free, £700). During this time, the systems kept "going down*," sometimes resulting in the call being disconnected on the spot, but on one particular occasion meaning that the phone couldn't be booked in but I'd recieve a call later on so that someone else could book it in on the agreed terms (£50, which I was extremely unhappy about but just wanted the nightmare to be over so I could do something more constructive with my time). During the call back, I was told in no uncertain terms that a £50 flat fee "wasn't something we offered" in these situations and the representative who spoke to me not only refused to help in the matter, but called me a liar in the process and spoke to me with the kind of disdain and disgust you'd usually reserve for mass shooters. At this point, it was almost 9pm, and your lines were closed. I went to bed angry and exhausted.

The next morning was more of the same. Eventually, after about 5 more calls and multiple hours, the phone was booked in for a replacement (with a £50 fee, which I was *still* angry about but just wanted it done). The handover process wasn't exactly great, and wasn't really explained properly beforehand (word of advice--in these situations, *use two couriers to allow customers time to transfer data across properly, or explain well in advance that it's a rapid handover at the door*). I wound up losing around $1500 worth of cryptocurrency that was in a metamask account I no longer have access to as I didn't write down the seed phrase.

I then recieved a letter with an envelope in it asking me to let you know when I would be sending the phone in, and telling me that if I didn't then I would be liable for the cost of the replacement, leading to more calls to ascertain what was going on and whether I was going to be smacked with a massive fine on top of the inconvenience of this whole "process".

The replacement itself was an unboxed refurbished model. I have absolutely nothing against properly refurbished phones, in fact I'm currently starting a refurbishment business, however there is a massive value difference between hardware that is factory firsts and hardware that has ever been refurbished, and any replacement within a contract should be like-for-like. That's not to mention that this replacement seems to not be grounded properly, as when it is plugged in you can feel the electricity when you touch the metal frame (and this is 100% electricity, as it is taking the green anodised coating off of the metal when it happens--basically an inverse electroplating process). Sending out poor quality refurbishments like the one I've been given isn't just bad for goodwill and customer retention, it can also be extremely dangerous; for example, if this particular phone had been sent to somebody with a pacemaker, they would be dead.

The only reason I haven't bothered going to ee about the fault with the replacement phone is that i feel it would be about as productive as banging my head into a brick wall.

Fast forward to today. As a part of setting up my new business, I need an additional phone number. Ideally, I needed this to be set up by 4pm today, as this would have meant my business cards and advertising that prominently display this number will be ready early next week. I called ee, and was reintroduced back into the omnishambles of your call centre.

Initially I was told that I wouldn't be eligible for a second number and would have to go for a business account (which, surprise surprise is more expensive). The third representative I was passed along to seemed confused and said that yes, of course I can have a second number. So it was agreed that I would pay £9 a month, and that in order to access and activate this eSim I would just need to wait half an hour and go into the app**.

An hour later, I called back, and then recieved a call back from a technical advisor who informed me (really politely, she was really nice during the whole exchange) that that unfortunately isn't how eSims work through ee, and that I was going to recieve a QR code on Monday that I'd need to activate. I asked if she could cancel, and she did it for me. She suggested getting a PAYG sim and converting it (as I'd have the number today), and I thanked her for the suggestion but explained that at this point, I don't think ee is a service provider that I want to proceed with.

Everyone I've spoken to today was at least nice (unlike before), but I cannot rely on a company that doesn't know whether it's coming or going when it comes to something as important as business communications. Maybe I could have overlooked the previous experience when it came to my personal contract renewal if every other experience had been positive, but situations like today do not inspire confidence or build trust. My experience with ee is that you are a communications company that cannot even communicate with itself, and requiring assistance of any kind is akin to playing a one-armed-bandit where half of the potential outcomes are being kicked in the groin.

*you're literally a large-scale telecommunications company, how the hell do you have so much downtime? The minecraft servers I built as a 14 year old have more uptime than your call centre's servers seem to.

**never in my life have I used a worse app than the ee app. Its a labyrinthine, poorly organised, poorly optimised glorified advertising portal that ultimately just redirects you to the website through links that half the time return an error code of one kind or another. If you're going to do a service this badly, don't bother, it would look more professional if you told people to "Google it" at this point.

9 REPLIES 9
Aaad
Investigator
Investigator

Good luck.

Many of the people I've spoken to at ee are incredibly nice. Actually getting help when there's an issue is a gamble, in my experience.

I don't know if the problem is with opacity in the tech systems themselves, or if the issue is with training of staff, or if different departments have entirely different rules and procedures from each other... but I've never before engaged with a company that's so consistently able to provide completely conflicting information within literally a five minute period.

I can't speak for representatives on here, but in my experience with ee's call centres, the resolution strategy when problems arise appears to be sending you around in circles to the point where you give up.

@Aaad  And yet you don’t say when the issue is.   

As for the OP they didn’t come back and say why they had extra charges. 

Check my post history, it's like the only post on there

@Aaad  yes I did see that.    The device issue  could be claimed under the warranty by going directly to Samsung.   After that I gave reading it.    

Think you'll find it's a little less simple than that. Samsung needed it to be booked in and a repair attempted before they'd replace it (in actuality, the repair would be the resolution) but their lead time was over a week. I've been self-employed for multiple years and cannot be without my phone for that length of time.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the vendor as much as it is the manufacturer to take accountability for products and services rendered, particularly when they are selling you an expensive insurance contract for the unit itself. Anything less is dodging responsibility.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Aaad 

I am very sorry to hear about your experience when calling us to organise a replacement for your faulty device, and also to add an additional contract onto your account. This is not the level of customer service we aim to deliver.

To get the issue with the replacement device you have received looked into without calling us, please see our Mobile Phone Repairs, page for ways to book a repair. 

If you would like to add an additional contract you can pop into an EE Store who will be happy to help you, they can run the account checks and get you set up with another contract if this is something you may be interested in at anytime. 

If you would like to discuss your experience further, you can raise a complaint with us on the Make a complaint (ee.co.uk) page and the team will get back to you once this has been looked into. 

Thank you. 

Leanne.

Leanne_T

Hi there @Aaad 

I have replied to your other post on the community

Thank you. 

Leanne.

Good lord those repair prices are high, most of them are double what I charge (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any guarantees of OEM only parts, either). Also you only have screens and battery repairs listed, and if I had to make an educated guess without opening the device up, I'd say the issue was most likely with the charging port/circuit between that and the battery and logic board. The only reason I haven't done the repair myself in this case (or the prior case) is due to warranty. If I'd known I would have been getting a replacement phone that doubles as a taser, I'd have just opened my old phone up and seated the ribbon cable back in the socket properly (or at a push, soldered some jumper cables, a la flexgate on the 2017 macbook pro).

Also with the situation being what I've explained, I'm not exactly stoked on the idea of jumping into a 2 year contract with you guys when it comes to my business line. I like to keep things simple and efficient, that way there's no stress, and having a contract with ee would be like carrying a live grenade with no pin around. At any time, things could go spectacularly wrong, and instead of being able to operate my business properly I'd be spending a week seeking a resolution that will be subpar at best.

Plus none of this explains why the call centre service is so bad. How does every representative have their own ideas about what "ee does" in a given situation? Surely there's some kind of training, or system, or even a flow chart to follow? I'll say the same here as about the app--if you aren't going to offer a service that meets the basic requirements of the end user, don't bother to offer the service at all, because it looks far worse to offer it and have it be awful than to just say "unfortunately we don't have a call centre/app, just go in store/on our website." 

Leanne_T

Hi @Aaad 

Thanks for the reply. 

The prices listed are for repairs if the device is damaged, out of warranty and there is no insurance on the account, details can be found on our What Should I Do if I Have a Problem with My Device? Help page. 

I am sorry we have no account access on the community, if you would like to discuss your experience further, please complete the complaints form online here and the team will have full access to check the account history to get this fully looked into. Once this has been investigated the team will be in touch.

Leanne.