cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling contract to vulnerable and mentally unwell person.

Michael076
Visitor

Hi, my girlfriend has just gotten out of a mental health hospital after having a manic episode from bipolar. 3 days before getting sectioned, 18th January, she went into an EE store in a town centre in her pyjamas and in a childlike state, very clearly not well ie behaviour and speech. She was talked into a phone contract for an iPhone 13, no credit check was done because if it had she would have 100% failed. From what she remembers she was out of there in 20 minutes. She was taken advantage of to get rid of old stock.

Her abusive daughter stole the phone from her 2 days after getting it and now 2 months later she has no phone and owes nearly £200. Her daughter's also empty her bank account when she's unwell so there's been no money in her account to pay her bills. It's a messy situation and if I put the whole story on her it would be hard to believe.

I have the IMEI for the phone so I know it can be blacklisted but my question is is what they did in the store legal? It not only feels morally wrong but also criminally wrong to take advantage of a vulnerable and mentally ill person this way!

I went into a different EE store and was told nothing could be done because the insurance she was sold was only for damage. And said although morally wrong they are forced to sell contracts to vulnerable people otherwise would get accused of discrimination. I don't know if this is true but what I do know is that my girlfriend was severely mentally ill and has spent 2 months sectioned. Now she is coming out to this that shouldn't even be a thing, she should never have been given it in the first place.

Could I please get some advice? 

Thanks, Michael.

2 REPLIES 2
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Michael076 

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to your girlfriend and I've sent you a private message so that we can look into this. 

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thank you. 

Leanne.

Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@Michael076 , I commend you for being there for her, as it is not easy when someone is not well etc., I have a severally disabled daughter and have known and know disabled people. 

I have heard plenty of stories about vulnerable people being abused, by their family and or carers, seen programs and I think it is disgusting, hope you manage to get this sorted and also make sure you both get help too.

Unfortunately the stores, not just mobile stores, are in a difficult situation, as they could be accused of discriminating against people, so I can see the problem, but there should be someone there to help when something like this arises.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.